Prologue

Dear Heartbreaker,

College! Freshman year to be exact. A time to brush off the remnants of high school and embrace the next step in the journey of life. So full of promise with a hint of mystery and a side of adventure. This is where I thought my life would change for the better. It was running here, away from all the pain I left behind in my small hometown of Oakley, Nebraska. The bitterness left over from my parents' messy divorce, the loneliness of a friendship gone sour, and the darkness of an unrequited crush.

On a huge campus filled with nameless faces I blended in, crushed sand tossed on the waves of academia and excitement. Some studious, some just along for a good time, and myself, a shy and hurting girl seeking something brighter, looking to transition from pain to joy. And then it found me: change. I couldn't hide from it or run away so my life rearranged itself in the most unexpected way. Change which I can't regret although sometimes I do wish the consequences of loving you hadn't been so harsh.

So Heartbreaker, do you remember it all? The highs and lows, hugs and fights, tears and smiles...Because I do! In the same fashion you can glimpse an old photograph and emotions are churned up and a few poignant memories become crystal clear as though seen through the sharp focus of a camera lens. They can't be erased or altered, destroyed or forgotten. For each moment we experience is a moment we can neither take back nor move forward with. They are simply moments which describe the tapestry of the story of life.

But moments can hurt us or moments can set us free. And when you weave them together the picture they depict has a depth of feeling and a wealth of meaning which can only be understood by the author, me and you: the Heartbreaker.