Chapter 3

The door slowly creaked open as Ren and Dan approached. Soon after professor Layton walked in closely followed by the two young agents.

"You may take a seat." The professor said while picking up a file from the desk.

The room was large, with a beautiful oak door as the entrance and bookshelves either side. A long beige settee sat in the middle of the room on top of pristine, brown floorboards. There was also a huge desk towards the back of the room that was being overshadowed by a tall 10ft window.

Dan and Ren both sat down impatiently as the professor flicked through the file in her cold hands, making faces and smiling every so often.

"WHere it is!" She exclaimed as she walked over to the middle of the room where Ren and Dan were currently sitting. "Page 104, James Frank 2009.

"You've heard of the criminal who escaped from a maximum security prison?" They both nodded softly.

"Well, the local police never found him. They searched for years but eventually the case was abandoned."

"Yes but what does that have to do with anything?" Dan asked. Ren smiled at her friend's request as she was almost certain she knew what would be said next.

"Well, if you stop inturrupting then maybe you'll find out. Agree!" At the thought of how many evil ways their boss could punish then Dan quietened down and slugged back in his seat.

Ahem*. "After 5 years almost all agencies had given up on any hope of finding this criminal. Even we had decided to leave the case. That was until two days ago.

"We have reason to believe that he is hiding out in the mountains somewhere in the west of Australia. Your mission is to find this man and bring him into custody."

"Seems easy enough." Spoke an excited Ren with high confidence.

"I'm glad to hear." Layton replied. Then I expect you to be ready for tomorrow morning. The jet will meet you at 9am."

"Of course professor, we won't disappoint you."

"That is all." The professor concluded. Ren stood up and turned to walk out the door, only to be brought to a sudden halt.

"Oh." Layton started up again. "By the way, I'm going to send Megan with you." A wicked smirk appeared on her face.

'No. Anyone but her.'

"Of course professor." Ren walked out the door without saying another sound. Her fist clenched as she did so. Dan saw this and chased after to comfort his conrade. Also, he couldn't stand being in that room with the devil any longer. The door slammed behind as Professor Layton calmly walked back over to her desk and sat down in the chair. She sighed deeply and wondered. 'I hope nothing bad hapens to them. That man is nothing but pure evil and if he finds out who Ren truly is, then the situation may become too much for them to handle. They can't find out her true identity.