Chapter 10: The Way of the Ninja

Darkness had fallen over the forest by the time we reached the temple, only illuminated by the glow of the crystal floor. The temple had somehow reappeared, apparently deprived of its barrier. The stump that held it was engulfed in Neiko's crystal and I could make out Apollo sitting on it, curiously observing the substance.

"Apollo, why can we see the temple?" I called out.

Apollo looked over at me and burst into laughter. "Hah! You look like a baby in a crib! This is going to be hilarious to watch!" He choked, strangled by the convulsions of his own laughter.

"Watch what?" Neiko asked, her eyes narrowing at the sight of Apollo. I could have sworn that her skin rippled as if in alarm when she realized his presence for the first time. "Moeiw, you need to stay away from him. No matter what, don't heed what he has to say."

"No need to be so hasty, Ninja vermin." I turned my head to see the object of my suffering stride into plain sight. Sarah Shogun had her eyes transfixed on Apollo, a desperate longing in her expression. "Never would I have thought that the Ninja were living atop their temple for so long and never realized it. Now the Great Spirit is sitting above me, waiting to be claimed by the last civilization standing."

"What does she mean by that?" I growled, not sure exactly whom it was directed.

"Isn't it obvious Templar?" Sarah said, finally turning towards me. "We are each the last of our civilizations because this incredibly immature spirit decided to smite all the other Samurai using the sun. So this will be the last confrontation between Ninja and Samurai, for the same purpose as all the ones before. To be the one to claim the Great Spirit, let us fight the way our ancestors once did." Sarah concluded her monologuing, drawing a Samurai sword.

"Can you break me out of this?" I asked Apollo, indicating the crystal cradle that had imprisoned me. Neiko hung her head guiltily.

"I could, but it would be much more entertaining to watch you fight from there. I'll make you a katana though." Apollo grinned happily as said weapon appeared in my hand. "For this fight, neither of you shall use magic. You technically could cheat, but the penalty shall be severe."

"How am I supposed to fight like this?" I whispered to Neiko. "I can't even move anything but my arms."

"The crystal will move around to follow me, so I'll guide you around the battlefield." Neiko suggested. I nodded affirmatively as there was no other option.

"Is that permissible?" I called to Apollo, knowing that he had heard the plan.

"Sure, it will just make it more hilarious." Apollo said loudly, falling over backwards and throwing a makeshift eye up into the air, which floated.

"A nonTemplar Ninja with magic?" Sarah spat on the crystal ground, her nose wrinkled in disgust. "You Ninja are truly vile defilements of this world. The punishment for your sin of existence will be total annihilation." And with that, she leapt forward. She seemed much slower than usual, but my eyes were probably just deceiving me.

I raised my katana and blocked her strike. She clearly wasn't expecting me to be able to react as the sudden collision coursed throughout her body and she slipped on the smooth crystal ground. As Sarah was falling towards me, I took the opportunity to raise my left fist and punch her directly in her face. "This is the first part of the revenge of your victims!" I yelled as Sarah was send skidding several yards from the blow. I made sure to graze her arm with the katana as she flew, drawing a very slight amount of blood.

"Moeiw, look at her arm." Neiko whispered, pointing at Sarah, who was trying to find footing on the crystal ground. I looked to the injured arm and saw the small cut still there.