Chapter 2

Clicking hoofs and a shaking carriage were my first impression of the Euradalians. They had sent a carriage to pick me up and escort me to their palace. This carriage was the most unsteady transport that I have ever ridden in. I could hear the people of my kingdom, who were lined up across the street, cheering my name, and from what Jack told me they were also waving handkerchiefs. I appreciated the thought, but I didn't need a royal send off. I was just heading to the family that cursed me in my youth. No big deal.

On second thought. My hand banged against the carriage door, feeling around for the doorknob. As far as I could tell, there wasn't one. I lunged to the other side of the carriage frantically looking for a door knob that apparently didn't exist.

"Something wrong, Princess?" Obviously, the carriage man could hear me moving around.

"Oh, nothing. Just trying to find the exit. Where would that be exactly?" I asked him, still fiddling around for a way out.

"Oh, there's no way to exit from inside the carriage. Queen Aurora gave special orders that you aren't to leave the transport until you safely arrive at Euradon castle."

"Do my parents know about this?"

"They were the ones who suggested it, Princess." I could feel the smile in his voice. "And please sit down, you're moving the carriage more than the horses."

I sulkily sat down, folding my arms across my chest. I wanted nothing more to go home, but my parents didn't want me at home. They're the ones who wanted me locked in a carriage has I barreled toward my doom!

I sat in silence for quite a while, sulking, and feeling sorry for myself, wishing I could be anywhere but here; until the carriage man started to talk.

"I hope you love Euradon. It's my hometown, but it's by far the most beautiful place there is. And I've been to a lot of places, I've been a royal carriage driven for fifty years. I think it's safe to say that I've been nearly everywhere." the man had a light-hearted voice, but I could hear the stress in his voice from years of age. I could also hear that he spoke with a broad smile like this was his favorite story to tell. "Especially during Christmas time. All the citizens light candles in their windows, they walk the streets, taking in those who are temporarily out of a house. The smell of nutmeg coats the city, and pine."

He goes on and on about his city, telling me the shape of the houses, and what the main street looks like during the winter. I can feel, hear, and smell Euradon. His descriptions and stories of everyone in the city made me feel connected, and the closer we got, the more my smile began to grow.

Euradon wasn't just a place where King Philip and Queen Aurora lived. It was home to so many other people; people who had lived just like mine, and were able to be happy, even when they were out of work, or paying higher taxes than they could afford. And here I was, a princess, who was throwing a tantrum because she has to go to another palace, and spend the holidays with and unfamiliar family.

I decided that from this point on, I was going to do my best to have fun here, I wasn't going to spend my Christmas season moping. I was going to meet the villagers and the royal family, and enjoy learning about new people.

With the resolve finished the carriage jerked to a halt. And the wagon man opened the door. He helped me out, and I could feel him almost start to walk away.

"Wait!" I cried. I heard him stop and turn around.

"Yes, Princess?"

"What's your name?"

I could hear his smile broaden, "Thomas. And you Princess?"

"Apple," I said feeling a smile creep onto my face.