Remembering Sunday

© 2015-2016 mystifiedskeptic. All rights reserved.

Remembering Sunday

(2000 words)

***

It was high noon on December 2013, Sunday, as to when it was jotted down on my journal. Definitely a cloudy Sunday with the bits of its azure skies yet shady at the same time where you could think of some nostalgic moments of your childhood that could bring you to tears.

--

I was sitting at the back passenger seat of a blue BMW cab looking outside and leaning in the window listening to some good indie on my brand new headphones that was only bought yesterday because the old one suddenly gave up on me. My mom was beside me while my dad was sitting in the front when my heart started pounding than its normal; I realized what was about to come. I've had seen so many shapes and forms of clouds that I'm sure when it is coming. Yes, because almost every Sunday we go to our family friend's place where we have to travel for 3 hours from our place. And for 3 hours, it means, I was sitting pondering and mesmerizing about life and this chaotic unfair yet perfectly habitable planet. I've had already seen a whole lot of skies with clouds shaped like animals or some shaped like an ancient warrior fighting against another warrior. I'm always looking in the skies just like, apparently, what I was doing in the exact moment. But it was all different. As to where I was looking, the blue skies in front of my two eyes are suddenly becoming all too murky and more and more cloudy. I leaned my face and body closer to the window and closed my eyes anticipating for my ears to hear the teardrops from heaven.

"I'm sure it is about to rain any minute now." I thought.

I heard my heart racing faster than the rhythm of the song I was listening to and pound harder with excitement. I've always been fond of rain and everything about it, especially the sound. I don't know where it started or how it started. All I know was that there's something in the rain that makes me feel hyped, inspired in some sort and more alive even though some people say it makes them feel blue. Surely, the effect on me is different. I counted: one, two and three but I was interrupted by a weird sound coming from my dad. I immediately opened my eyes without hesitating and looked to where my dad was sitting.

I let out a chuckle when I heard my dad's soft snores, but he woke up just when my mom's about to tap his shoulder. He looked in my direction and sheepishly smiled. Then, I wondered whether he heard my laugh.

He then after so, went back relaxing his head on the headrest, folded his arms, and closed his eyes again. He was surely still sleepy.

However, a loud and somewhat roaring sound made me almost jumped out of my skin. It was a thunder. I stooped back from the window a trifle. Then suddenly everything went dark. Not realizing that we just entered the city tunnel entrance. I heaved a deep breath, relaxing myself.

I love rain, but I hate thunder.

After a few minutes, I could already see the a familiar monument from where we were and by then it started raining heavily and if I'm not mistaken, it was already 12:30 in the noon that day. I put a big smile on my face then leaned closer again in the window and saw the sky became even darker once more. The wind blows so hard that the trees rattled. Some people were running and didn't want to get wet while I, from a far, saw a couple dancing in the rain and kids playing around. My smile got bigger and bigger every second that I thought I already began to look weird and creepy but I didn't care. We got caught up in the traffic, still I didn't care. I heard the sound of the vehicles around beeping louder and louder every seconds but it wasn't annoying me at all. I closed my eyes, feeling the moment and imagining that I was one of the kids outside or I was the girl dancing in the rain with his boyfriend. I heard the ticklish back and forth sound of the windshield wiper all too well that made me smile a little not realizing that I pressed the window opener.