Chapter one

He was running- running so fast, the sound of his feet hitting the pavement echoing down the otherwise silent street. It was dark and cold but he was sweating more than he believed possible, his hair sticking to his forehead. Soon his footing was lost, and he fell. But he didn't land. He kept on falling and falling...

Suddenly he awoke with a heavy breath and he sat up, putting his hands on the wet carpet making it squelch loudly beneath them. Then he went silent. His uncle might be awake and he didn't want to make his consciousness known to him.

In the darkness of his cramped cupboard Harry noiselessly fumbled for his glasses. Upon finding them Harry realised that the arm had fallen off again, the tape not being enough to hold the frame together. 

Sighing, Harry lay back down. Tiredly he closed his eyes when he did all he could see was blood and all he could hear was his uncle's malicious cry; So he opened them. 

Around an hour later he heard the front door open and then slam closed. His uncle must have gone out for a drink or seven down at the pub. Harry shivered, his eyes shut despite knowing what he would see when he did so. 

A belt that shattered his skin, a punch that broke his nose... a loud thud and a crash that made him unconscious... his school did not know, would they even care? He goes in with bruises each day, and they ask him no questions. 

The creak of his door opening brought him back to reality and he lay still. He knew it would hurt less that way. His uncles groggy voice came to meet his ears, a slur and a horrid mess that he could not comprehend. 

He grabbed Harry by the leg and pulled him out of the cupboard. Harry was silent despite the carpet burn that was beginning to form on his face, and he let Vernon drag him to the living room. Petunia and Dudley where still asleep, not that they would do anything about it. They would pretend they never heard.

Vernon left him to lay pathetically on the carpet and stood above him. Harry felt dread rush over him as he heard his uncle unbuckling his belt. He didn't dare close his eyes. That always ended up making it worse, the feeling doubled with unbearable memories from his past.

Vernon ordered him to take of his shirt and he did so without question. His uncle laughed, and he slashed the belt across Harry's bare back. Harry lay there, silent despite the overwhelming sting that came with each hit. 

Harry lay there, tears falling down his face. But he stayed silent. He NEEDED to stay silent, otherwise it would just become worse for him. He needed to stay silent in order for him to survive. But sometimes he wondered why he needed to survive at all.

Sometimes somebody hurts you so much that it stops hurting at all.