9: Trip to Romania

NEWT
As he was finishing up a paragraph about phoenixes, an owl flew through Newt's cottage window. He took the letter from it's ankle and read:
Dear Newt,
We have a bit of a dilemma here in America. Queenie and I have been trying to find a way to get MACUSA to pass the law of no-maj and wizard fraternization. Mr. Kowalski is doing very well with his bakery; I've been keeping an eye on him from a distance. Maybe if we get the law passed, we don't have to watch from a distance, and Queenie will be happy again. She tries not to show it, but I can tell she's a little down. Do you have any ideas to get MACUSA to pass the law?
How have you been doing? How is your book coming? I hope that all is well.
Your friend,
Tina Goldstein
Newt set the letter on his desk and pondered. Passing the law of wizard-Muggle fraternization in America would be a major change, but there would no doubt be others who would apprectiate it. Queenie wasn't the only witch in love with a Muggle; there were probably countless others, as America is extremely big.
The best way to go at this, Newt decided, was logical reasoning and subtle flattery. Explain the reasons that the law should be passed, and explain why it can be passed now that New Salem is over. Slip in subtle examples of why the current law is inefficient. Also, explain how MACUSA is currently under extremely wise leadership, and they are trusted to make the right choice. By subtle flattery, there would be a better chance of getting the MACUSA officials on their side, and by reasoning, they would have no choice but to sway to their side. It was as good a plan as any, so Newt wrote it in a letter and sent it to Tina.
Dear Tina,
I believe the best way to approach this is with logical reasoning and subtle flattery. Tell them why the current law is impractical and why a change of laws is in order. All the while, drop subtle compliments into the mix of facts. I hope that was a help, and it all works out.
I am doing well, and will be going to be in Romania for a few months, studying dragons at a well known sanctuary there. After I have written a chapter on dragons, I believe the book will be ready. I leave in two weeks, about a week before Christmas. Wish me luck; dragons can be dangerous.
Your friend,
Newt Scamander
A about two weeks later, as he was making final preparations to go to a dragon sanctuary Romania, he recieved another letter from Tina. It read:
Dear Newt,
That plan is brilliant. By the time this reaches you, we will probably have the whole presentation written. The nearest appointment with Madam Piquirie is February the fifth, so we will all have to wait a couple of months before we know what will happen.
It seems insane that it is already so close to Christmas, so I included a drawing I did myself. It isn't much, but I hope you like it. Be careful in Romania!
Your friend,
Tina Goldstein
He smiled to himself and pulled a drawing out of the envelope. It was a pencil sketch of a bald eagle, stretching out its wings and showing off its feathers. It turned its head and flapped its wings, flying in and out of the paper. Newt grinned wider and tucked it into his pocket as he went into his case to check that all his creatures were there.
Thirty minutes later, Newt stepped out of his case with a piece of occamy shell and feather. He Transfigured the piece of shell into a bangle that looked like a thin silver braid formed into a circle. Newt realized it wasn't fancy, but he also had a feeling Tina wouldn't care. It would fit in an envelope, along with a feather for Queenie, so he wrote a short letter to her wishing her a happy holiday and sent it off with his owl.
Dear Tina,
Thank you for the beautiful drawing; I'll keep it with me always. I made you a bangle out of a piece of occamy shell, and I got an occamy feather for Queenie. I think she could engorge it and make a quill out of it, if she wants. Have a very merry Christmas, both of you!
I am glad that you found my plan useful; I hope it works out.
As I write this, I am about to leave for Romania. I promise I will be careful, but I can't promise that the dragons will be merciful. They are marvelous creatures, but sometimes they can be tempermental. Did you know that their jets of fire can reach up to fifty feet in the air? Just something I found interesting.
Your friend,
Newt Scamander
Checking his watch, Newt saw it was time to leave. He strapped the case to his broom handle and mounted it, casting a Dis-illusionment charm on himself before kicking off into the freezing night sky.