01 - The Hospital

"Hello Aimee can you hear me?" The voice was distant and definitely unfamiliar. "Aimee."

I considered replying but decided against it as I honestly had no strength inside me to even open my eyes. I tried to drift into sleep.

"Aimee." The voice continued, louder this time.
As much as I wanted to be asleep, something within forced me to open my eyes.

Pain was the first thing I felt, my head was spinning as my eyes tried to adjust to the light, only that's not the only pain I felt. My whole body felt like I had just been in a vicious fight; as I looked down everything seemed to agree with that idea. There were bruises and scars all over my arms also my leg was in a small cast, presumably broken.

"Welcome back Aimee, now don't panic you're safe. I just need to ask you a few questions, is that okay?" I looked over to see a small woman, who I didn't recognise, wearing a nurse uniform and holding a small clipboard in her hand.

"Am...am I in hospital?" It said struggling to catch my breathe. "W..what happened?" I tried to collect my thoughts, but there was nothing there.

"You were involved in a car accident a few weeks ago. You have been in a lot of surgery and have been in a coma for almost 15 days." The nurse said calmly.

My mind went crazy. How had I been in a car accident? I don't remember anything of it. I tried to force myself to remember but my mind was blank. I couldn't remember anything. How could I not remember anything?

"Aimee are you okay?"

I couldn't process anything. Was Aimee even my real name? What was my surname? How could I not remember?
"Aimee do you want me to get someone for you? You might find it more comfortable for someone to be here with you whilst I explain this all. It can be a lot to take in."

Who would I want here? I don't remember anything or anyone. I wanted to be asleep again. I wanted to remember. Maybe this was a dream. Maybe if I just shut my eyes again it would all be okay-

"Oh my goodness, Aimee!" A loud voice appeared out of nowhere and someone clutched my hand. I opened my eyes and saw another stranger on the other side of the bed."You have no clue about how worried I've been, how worried we have all been."

I felt dazed and scared. I pulled my hand away. "Who are you?"

I watched as the small woman slowly put her hands to her mouth, it was only then I realised there was a man in the room too with us he edged nearer the woman and slowly he put arms around her and pulled her into a hug, as he did so he whispered something into her ear and they both eventually left the room. The woman couldn't keep her eyes off of me and something inside me felt a pang of emotion.

~
"You have a common form of retrograde amnesia. This is common after a big accident like yours." The doctor told me sat in the chair beside my bedside.

"But will I get my memories back?" I asked, searching for good news.

The doctor started to look down at his clipboard, avoiding eye contact. "Well the brain is very complicated. For some patients, they get their memories back within several days or longer. However, and I'm not suggesting this will happen to you, some patients don't ever retrieve their memories." He bit his lip. "But like I said I'm not saying anything for certain your memories could come back at any time, so let's hope for the best."

The words he was saying made me sick. What if  they never came back? What if I was stuck like this forever? I could feel tears start to drip roll down my face.

He attempted to brighten the mood. "Anyway, the good news is your health physically is rapidly improving. I may even be able to discharge you as early as tomorrow."

"You expect me to go come with a bunch of strangers?" I looked up at him in disgust.

"Well you will have to see a psychiatrist at least once a week but I honestly feel like this is the best option for you, if you want your memories back of course..."

He continued to talk but I didn't listen. I glanced at the door, I didn't even want to look at him. He had no idea what I was going through why should I listen to him. I focused on the door, the whole world behind it, the whole world I had no memory of.