Part 4: Outside

"Out!" Ankylo was in a mood. "Poppy, out!" She had no more food to throw around, the maid was furiously trying to clean up. Whenever she got too close to the princess or tried to clean, she just kicked and screamed. Her face was read and her fluffy, black hair was sticking in every direction.

Tonga took a deep sigh, then got up from his chair. He wasn't supposed to interfere too much, but this was just too painful to watch. The knight opened his outer armor, it was too hot for it anyway, and walked over to Ankylo. She shut her mouth as soon as he stood up. But he noticed she was keeping an eye on the maid as well.

"Poppy!" she held her tiny hands out towards him and wiggled her tiny fingers. She knew he couldn't resist her tiny little wiggling fingers.

"Will you behave, then?"

"Out!"

"Sure, sure." Tonga took off the bib and lifted her out of her seat. She was already making bubbly sounds of happiness. The maid tried to protest, but Tonga just shook head and smiled a bit. "No need, Miss Miller. I'll make sure she eats when we get back. Just you clean up and get home to your own." She finally gave up and nodded.

He carried the princess out of her room, out of his own and down the hall. All the time she was quiet, but looked curiously around. Even more so, when he headed down the stairs. She was very rarely out of their chambers. He exited the castle on one of the knights' many backdoors and out to the grass fields. It was his favorite place to spend his free time, once upon a time when he had such things.

Ankylo was put down there and soon disappeared in the grass that was much higher than herself. But it was easy to follow her tracks and he did so, taking his time and just letting her run around a bit.

Further into the field, he sat down. He heard the little princess running, stumble and falling, then struggling to get back on her feet. As he laid down and closed his eyes, he heard she was trying to locate him. Tonga held his breath for a moment, then he heard that she started walking. Slowly and carefully taking each tiny step. "Poppy?" To his surprise, she just sounded uncertain, with no trace of fear. It was interesting and even important to know how she would react when she couldn't see him.

"Poppy!" He opened his eyes and sat up with a jerk. His back was aching and he had a strange taste in his mouth and he terrifyingly enough realized he must have passed out. But how long had he been out for? "POPPY!" Tonga looked up, started. Ankylo was standing to his right, tears streaming down from her puffy eyes and down her rosy cheeks. She was cold.

"I'm so sorry, kitten. I must have fallen asleep-" he barely finished the sentence before she threw her arms around his neck and hugged him hard. She buried her face against his shoulder and small, quiet sobs were the only sounds coming from her. Tonga ran his hand over her spine and hugged tightly back.