The Bus Shelter.

A charity worker has transformed a double decker bus into a mobile shelter for the homeless people of the Isle Of Wight.

Kevin Newton created the bus shelter after the night shelter on the island was scrapped last year. His creation will help provide shelter for up to sixteen people at a time. It has fourteen sleeping pods and two beds. Costs are kept to a minimum by local businesses helping to fund for food and gas.

He said: "I'm so excited to be finally up and running. I'm extremely keen to be working with multi agencies to relieve homelessness on the island and to hopefully make a difference to the island's rough sleepers. Homeless people are sleeping in summer tents or just in sleeping bags at the back of buildings and I thought anything would be better than that. I want to make a difference to these people's lives."

The Bus Shelter is thought to be the first of its kind in the UK and will travel around the island to where it is needed most first

The aim of the scheme is to allow all the different agencies tackling homelessness/rough sleeping to work together and take a positive approach in ensuring all the homeless get the help and support they need to move into suitable accommodation and move on with their lives.

This is such a heartwarming story and goes to show that even us ordinary people can help make a difference - all you need is a kind heart and good intentions, which I'm sure exist in abundance, and you to can make the world a better place.

LTAC,

- thefineideayoucrave