9

The next hours were a lot like swimming was: up and down. I'd recover from an episode, only to be hit by the next.

I had failed. That was the truth I faced, alone for the first time that day as the sun began to set. Deciding I wanted to walk while I still could, I went outside.

It was by a tree that I saw them, faces closing in. Brook and Gwen.

I retreated to the beach. Another episode made a volcanic rise and I dropped to my knees in the sand, the waves at my thighs. I couldn't fight anymore: it was over. I'd have to make my way into the water with the last of what I had.

But then a hand landed on my shoulder, vanquishing the pain. I knew whose hand it was, and what it meant.

I flung myself around, into Brook's arms.

"Gwen's clothes, that night," she said quietly. I pulled back, staring into her knowing eyes. "They should've been soaked. It was you, wasn't it? I think I've always known."

I nodded, and we were nose to nose when Nate asked, "What are you doing?"

We looked over.

"I'd like to know myself," an amused Victoria added, throwing her arm around him.

"I realized I was about to kiss the wrong girl," Brook said, annoyed, "and you interrupted before I could get to kissing the right one." She shook her head. "How long have you been standing there?"

"Just the whole time," Victoria said. "We were right behind you."

"Vicki! At least don't admit it," Nate said. He held something that yipped and shook with excitement. "Roppo gave you away. He was going crazy."

He handed him to me, and my laughter enveloped us as Roppo gave me happy kisses.

Everyone stared in astonishment. Brook took my hand.

"I have a lot to tell you," I said, beaming at them all.

"You sound as beautiful as I thought you would," Brook whispered in my ear, petting Roppo.

"First we'll discuss permanent arrangements," Victoria said. "You're part of this family and I intend to make that official. Now I know you said you don't have one...what do you think about Cain as a last name?"

"Isn't that supposed to be Brook's question?" Nate asked, as we headed home.

Victoria quickly spoke over him. "By the way, Terra." She grew serious as I looked at her. "It's good to hear you."

"I'm glad you finally can," I replied earnestly. I glanced over my shoulder, but no fins caught my eye.

"I'm here, I'm here!" Annette stumbled toward us on the sand in her heels, breathing heavily. She didn't hide her confusion. "What are we doing?"

Nate sighed, muttering to Brook and I, "Get used to her ruining your moments."

I couldn't wait.