Ch. 03: The Ghost of Christmas Present

"A Christmas Carol Reimagined", Ch. 03: The Ghost of Christmas Present, December 14, 2016 Gratiana Lovelace (Post #1015) 

[From time to time, I will illustrate my story characters with: Richard Armitage as Ben Scrooge, Danielle Denby-Ashe as Peggy Cratchit, Aidan Turner as Ben's nephew Frankilin Durin, Ken Stott as the late Jacob Marley, Cate Blanchett as the Ghost of Christmas Past, James Nesbitt as the Ghost of Christmas Present, Meridith Baxter as Clara Lady Trenton, and Tom Conti as Lord Edward Trenton, and others as noted.]

Authors Introduction Note / Wattpad Description: My fan fic "A Christmas Carol Reimagined" ) [(1) story cover logo left] is the tale of a miserly middle aged man—a friend to no one–who is scared into realizing the folly of his ways when he is visited by three ghosts (past, present, and future). He then vows to be compassionate toward his fellow man and through his good deeds, he redeems himself—and he comes to know the meaning of love.

And as an homage to Dickens classic tale "A Christmas Carol" you will recognize some of the basic plot premises and a quote here and there. But there is a twist in that my story is a new telling, blending in British actor Richard Armitage's character friends in "North & South" and "The Hobbit" trilogy of films. So anything can happen.

Author's Recap from the previous chapter: Ben Scrooge was visited by the Ghost of Christmas Past who traveled back in time with him to Ben's happiest and saddest moments—his mother's and sister's love, and their deaths. Ben had also lost his first love Clara, by her father marrying her to a more financially established man of business—whereas Ben was just starting to look for work after he finished university. It was not a happy revisiting, but the ghost reminded Ben that they were only seeing what he wanted to see.

A Christmas Carol Reimagined", Ch. 03: The Ghost of Christmas Present

As Ben Scrooge waits in his hearthside chair in his bed chamber, he can only imagine what the Ghost of Christmas Present has come to show him—his own bleak and friendless life. But he will be surprised.

Gently mussing Ben's hair as he sits dozing, the Ghost of Christmas Present is resplendent with his lilting mustachioed beard and shape matching fur lined hat [(2) right]. The twinkle in his eyes betokens a man/ghost who knows how to have a good time. And though he does not look Scottish—that is, if ghosts can have particular nationalities—his voice in a tenor tone definitely has a Scottish accent.

Ghost of Christmas Present: "Laddie. Tis time to wake up and see the worrrrld arrrround you."

Ben: "What?" Ben asks groggily as he looks up at the mountain man looking guy ghost.

Ghost of Christmas Present: "I take it that the gell ghost took ye on a merrrry chase thrrrough yourrrr past?" He smiles knowingly. She tires them all out. She is that they refer to as a Type A ghost.

Ben: He winces. "Rather. And not pleasantly." Ben grimaces as he stretches his arms.

Ghost of Christmas Present: "Aye! She can be a rrrreal ... parrrty pooperrrr." He amends what he had earlier thought to say. Ghosts have a certain code of honor and conduct. If they don't want another ghost to speak ill of them, then they do not speak ill of that ghost.

Ben: "So what are you to show me." I ask warily, and still very tired [(3) right] . To me, these ghosts seem very haphazard in their professionalism. This one especially looks rather ... ordinary, for lack of a better word. No fine raiments on him.

Ghost of Christmas: "Laddie, the clock is ticking and time be a wasting!"

I grab Ben Scrooge's shoulder through his robe and we are instantly transported to the scene of a joyful family gathering in a lower middleclass section of London in the Cratchit home in Crampton—one of Mr. Scrooge's properties. His Clerk Peggy Cratchit is playing a small spinet piano—a treasured family heirloom saved from brighter days when her father was the esteemed vicar of Helstone Parish. Now he is retired and takes in students to help provide monies for part of their living expenses. However, it is Peggy's work as the Administrative Assistant to Mr. Scrooge at Marlborough Mills that pays the bulk of their living expenses. Their existence is far down the social ladder from what it had been even ten years ago.