o n e

Kaylee's pov

I was fourteen. I was fourteen when my mum died. And that's when my life fell apart.

My mum and I, we lived in London, in the U.K. My mum was the bravest person I've ever met. My dad left when I was seven and I haven't seen him since. So that meant my mum was a single parent but she always did what was best for me. She had a full time job which paid for a lovely house, a car and enough food to last as long as we needed it to.

She was my best friend. And I could tell her everything. We did everything together.

When I was twelve she got diagnosed with cancer and she managed to clear it but just after my 14th birthday she got it again, this time worse than ever and it drained her. I'm so proud of her. But I can't believe she's gone. I still can't believe she's gone.

So when my mum died I had to go and live with my dad in America. I hated it at first. My dad owns a little run down flat in LA and it's not kid friendly at all. Every street around has at least one homeless person, a drug dealer or a drug addict that's willing to do anything for a little bit of cash. Its not too bad living with my dad because he's never home. He will stay for a day at a time then leave again for "work" or "out with friends" gets me the house to myself so I'm not complaining. And I have friends over here, which I didn't think I would. There's quite a lot of us really, Leo, Shawn, Matt, Micky, Hailey and I, sometimes Gabby comes along with us too but she's not like us. We have a way of keeping ourselves busy, when we aren't in school, normally because we are ditching.

You could say we are a group of 'typical seventeen year olds' as we ditch school to get high. It's only a couple times a month that we ditch though because we normally just get high a Saturday. It's so good though. Any worries you have just disappears and you just all have a laugh. I suppose it's my way of taking away the pain of my mothers death for a couple hours. You just forget about everything else.