Part 1- RituShuddhi: Kashi comes of age

Events connected by history leave an indelible mark on the destiny of a dynasty. Shahu, the son of Sambhaji and the grandson of the iconic Maratha king Chhatrapati Shivaji, had just freed himself from Mughal captivity in the year 1707. The intelligence and foresight of Balaji Vishwanath made him lend strong support to the young Shahu against his battle with Tarabai, Shahu's rival for the seat of power.  Balaji, a Chitpawan Brahmin turned mercenary warrior with roots in Shrivardhan, was a born strategist.

After Shahu's coronation in Satara in 1708 Balaji Vishwanath was rewarded for his loyalty by being made the Emperor's political assistant. Shahu went on to appoint Balaji his first Peshwa in 1713. So significant was the role played by Balaji Vishwanath and his descendants in the expansion of the Maratha Empire that the Peshwas became its de facto hereditary rulers in the 18th century. Bajirao l, the first born sorn of Balaji Vishwanath was to become his father's successor following the death of the former in the spring of 1720.

 Among the camp followers of the newly appointed Emperor Shahu was Mahadji Krishna Joshi, a reputed and wealthy banker based in the town of Chaskaman about 70 kilometres from Pune. Mahadji Joshi was a Kokanastha Brahmins like Balaji Vishwanath, hailing from the village of Talusare in Ratnagiri. Balaji Vishwanath borrowed huge sums of money from Joshi in order to finance a new army for Shahu and to help him launch successful military campaigns. The union of Kashi and Bajirao was thus preordained, stemming from the symbiotic relationship between the Chaskar Joshi and Balaji. Joshi could easily see that the influential Balaji's political star was in ascension. The father could not have found a better match for his only daughter Kashi than Bajirao, the heir apparent of Balaji.

Kashi was born and brought up in the massive wada or mansion of her prosperous father, located in Chaskaman. The infant Kashi and her mother Shiubai almost never left the room of confinement for four months after the birth. Laadubai (beloved daughter) as she was known, was brought up with a strange combination of affectionate indulgence as well as typical Chitpawan austerity.  She was only eight years old and Bajirao, the son of Balaji just eleven when the two fathers decided to arrange their marriage in 1711, in order to strengthen ties between the two families. 

 Kashi, being, the daughter of the wealthy banker and moneylender who financed the various battles campaigns of Balaji Vishwanath, was given a warm welcome in her marital home. Radhabai, her mother-in-law, with whose wishes and blessings the wedding was solemnised, doted on her. The mansion in Saswad, the town where Balaji's family was based, became the new home of the Kulavadhu Kashibai (bride of the heir apparent of the clan). As the bride settled into the household she came under the tutelage of Radhabai, a woman who was highly competent at managing the day to day affairs of the Bhat homestead, as well as the upbringing of her two sons Bajirao and Chimaji.

In the years to come little Kashi grew quite close to the siblings of her husband. Brother Chimaji was only four years old when Kashi stepped over the home's threshold. Of Bajirao's two sisters Bhiubai was older, but it was the younger Anubai who became Bajirao's and the entire family's favourite. Bhiubai, Anubai and Kashi became dear friends, spending the best childhood years together. Even after being married the sisters were welcomed and hosted by their natal family time and again, and their bond with Kashi became instrumental in reinforcing goodwill between Bajirao and their marital families. Slowly and surely Radhabai groomed Kashi to become the warp and the weft that bound the fabric of the Bhat family tight.

The childplay that the girls indulged in with their lacquered bhatukali toys kept them happily engaged till it was time for Bajirao's sisters to be sent off to their own marital homes. Bhiubai was the first to wed, she was married to Abaji Joshi of Baramati, brother of the banker Balaji Naik who was to become a troublesome financer to Bajirao. The younger Anubai was married to Venkatrao Ghorpade, born to the rulers of Ichalkaranji. Kashi treated the young Chimaji as her own younger brother and he would remain devoted to her cause for as long as he lived. While Kashi showered affection over Chimaji, she was fully in awe of her husband whom she hero-worshipped from the time they were married.