Behind My Mind

(P.O.V: Kasey)

A pit grew in my stomach as I worked my way out into the night, the sand filling up my dress-shoes. I loosened my tie, letting it sit around my neck while I dug my hands into my silk pockets. I felt bad about my lie to Rebekah at the time. I didn't have a sister, not anymore that is. I thought back to the memory of my younger sister running through our front yard, the sand kicking up along her cherry colored sundress.That memory was the last time I saw her glistening, young face. All that I could remember after that was her blood on my hands as Demetri walked away, his gun still smoking. 

I felt tears come down my face, and I sniffled as I wiped them away. I touched the plaster mask in my pocket, wondering how it fit in there in the first place. The grease in my hair had made its way to my face and I was in desperate need of a bath. 

The village came into sight, the lights of this dark place made me feel like I was supposed to be there. I saw a clothes-line sitting by a hut, the sheets and pants that were hanging from it were swaying gently in the wind. A pregnant woman, no older than thirty or thirty-five, waddled outside while she stroaked the skin along her belly. I recognized her instantly.

"Mom!" I yelled.

She turned her head in my direction, squinting her eyes and widening them afterward. She mouthed my name and walked down the steps of the porch in which she had been standing. I ran home, feeling like the small boy I knew I still was on the inside. I stopped a few feet away from her tear soaked face.

"Is that really my Kasey?" she asked, coming closer and running her hand against my pale cheek. I placed my hand upon hers, and cried into it.

"I'm so sorry mom." I said.

"S-sorry? For what?" she asked.

I placed my hand upon her belly and looked up at her. "For Susan." I said, tearing up again.

"That wasn't your fault." she said, holding her hands on my face, squishing it in the process.

She looked at the light glowing in the doorway, hoping for something. "You can stay in the shed tonight. Your father has been drinking and he's still irritated about Susan. I don't wanna see my son hurt." she said hugging me softly.

I smiled and walked around back looking at her glowing self periodically. "Mom..." I whispered.

She poked her head around the side of the house and smiled. "He's dead you know." I said finally.

Her eyebrows furrowed, "Demetri is dead?" she asked.

I nodded, and watched while her sleek blonde hair flowed in the wind while she walked away from me. I returned the door to its place in the doorway, darkening the room suddenly. I flopped down on the mattress place in there by my mother, and sighed deeply.

"Its good to be home...." I muttered to myself.

Vibrating came from my left front pocket, and I reached into it to find my phone ringing, I answered it casually. "Hello?" I questioned.

"Kasey, get over there quick!" said a female voice.

"Uh... who is this?" I wondered, pushing myself up to a sitting position.

"Melanie." she said.

"Melanie, the psychic from the prison?" I inquired.

"No...." she said sarcastically.