One-16th Birthday

I woke up on this ugly, crappy morning. I opened my blinds to see it snowing... or is it rain? Whatever. It's one of the two.  

I got out of my warm, cozy bed and walked over to my desk where my phone was.

Saturday, December 17th.

This used to be my favorite day of every year, but now, it's just another day of me getting older and another day closer to death.

I texted my boyfriend.

Hey. I'm up.

I put my phone down and walked into my bathroom to take my morning shower. It took me a little longer today. I wanted to pretend that I was on The Voice.

When I was done, I stared at myself in the mirror. My long brown hair was tangled up, my hazel eyes looking back at me, my soft, light brown skin shining in the light. I wrapped my towel around myself, covering everything.

I walked back over to check my phone. I got a text back from my boyfriend.

Morning, beautiful. Happy birthday!

I smiled. After being with him for a little over a year, I'm kind of surprised that he remembered.

Awe. You remembered?

Of course, I remembered. I would never forget last year. Aha!

Ugh! Please do!

Aha! Nah. It wasn't that bad.

Not bad?! I got grounded after what we did, Cam!

Alright, that one thing YOU did was not my fault.

True, but getting us arrested was your fault.

I put my phone down and decided to get dressed, while I waited for him to text me back.

My boyfriend's name is, Cameron. I call him, Cam, because it makes him feel like he's loved and cared for by someone who is actually there for him through everything in his life...and mostly because I only say his full name when I'm mad or upset. Other than that, I'm just lazy to say his full name, even though it's only four letters longer, but nobody cares.

Anyways, last year, on this very day, I turned 16. For my 16th birthday, I didn't want to do anything, except watch Netflix with Cameron. But of course, Cameron being Cameron, he had other plans for my "sweet" 16. He took me over to the store and he got eggs and toilet paper. Then, he took me to my ex's house. From looking back at the word 'arrested', you already know what could've happened. I agreed to do it with Cameron, especially after what my ex did to me... It wasn't cool how I found out, but it was just... really messed up and hurtful...

But, Cameron made me feel better by letting me let my anger out on eggs and toilet paper to a house... and I might have written a message on his house... in paint. Although, what happened after getting caught was way worse; driving in the back of a police car on my 16th birthday. It was all worth it and I don't regret any of it.

Now I'm turning 17, with only my mom and my older brother being here.

When I was done getting dressed, I looked back at my phone.

I didn't call the cops, Caroline. I wouldn't do that.

No duh, you wouldn't do that. Why would you call the cops on yourself? Aha!

You know what I mean, babe.

Yeeaahh... I know. I'm pretty sure he called them.