5: Three Moves

How the hell did he know men in jeans drove her crazy? 

In an involuntary gesture, she skimmed a glance at his crotch. He wasn't hard, but he was getting there, and she couldn't help licking her lips in response. She raised her eyes, staring into the blue intensity of his. His look was one of intent. Hers was of suspicion. Black eyes stared into blue for several seconds before she spoke. 

"What the fuck are you doing here?!" 

It sounded more like an accusation than a question. She waited intently for an answer, but Troy didn't give her one. He simply reached behind him and locked the door. His gaze didn't waver as he did it, and as the lock turned, Katrina swallowed slowly and tightened her grip on her towel.

"I've come to you with a proposition," he said.

"No, thank you," she said immediately.

"You haven't heard me out yet."

"I don't have to."

"Do you have to be so stubborn?"

"I come from a long line of stubborn women," was her reply.

"Well, tough luck. You are going to hear me out, Katrina, what happens after that is up to you."

"I could kick your ass."

"You can try," he began, "but it's not going to get me away from the door; not until you hear me. I can be just as stubborn as you, Katrina." 

He said her name as though savoring it, and something inside her clenched in response. She thought about punching him. One punch would put a dent in his confidence . . . but she didn't. It would be too predictable, so she tried the direct approach. 

"You have a proposition, Keller ? Out with it! I haven't got all night."

"I want you", he said simply. Though he'd made it clear in the hallway last night, those three little words disarmed her, causing her to drop the hairbrush.

"I don't know what to say to that," she said at last, feeling her heart hammer against her ribs. 

"You don't have to say anything. I want you . . . and despite my better judgment, I'm even beginning to like you. You told me no last night, and normally I'd just let it go, but I want you too badly, so I'll make a deal with you. If I can't convince you in three moves, I'll walk out of this room and never bother you again."

This wasn't happening. This couldn't be happening. It was too ridiculous; but there Troy Keller stood, in all his ripped, broad shouldered glory, offering to prove that he was as good in real life as he was in her dreams. She couldn't stand the man, he was arrogant, and proud, and gorgeous. She didn't know what to do, so she went to the small bottle of vodka she had in case of emergencies and took a long swig. As the alcohol burned its way inside her, she swallowed slowly and licked her dry lips. His eyes followed the movement of her tongue, and the pang it caused between her thighs was sharp enough to make her think just a little more clearly.

"You're insane," she said as a matter-of-fact.

"I might be," he said with a shrug, "but I'm not leaving."

Katrina looked nervous as hell, and the sight of her nerves calmed his. She clutched that towel at her breasts with white knuckles and stared at him as though she wasn't sure what to do about him. He'd thought about using all the stereotypical moves to get her in to bed, but decided against it. Women like Katrina expected finesse and would dismiss it in a heartbeat. He had no idea how Ralph had gotten her room key, but when his friend wished him good luck, he threw manners to the wind and opted for the direct approach. Judging by the look on her face, it was working. She wanted him. All Keller had to do was wait for her permission.