Chapter 1

The bells rang it's low and monotone pitch almost the only thing you could hear in the dead city.

"Another one lost to in great war" A frail voice muttered as her hand reached out to pick up the old hair brush. Suddenly the door french door slammed open.

"Good morning Mis Grey," An overly skinny black faced girl walked in holding neetly folded clothing, head down looking at the ground with a static expression.

"Petrina," The sound of bristles scraping the girl's skin was audible. "Do you think i'm beautiful?" a long scilence made the thick cloud of tention even thicker than before.

"Yes," The weak voice of the maid was sudden and quick barley even audiable.  She slowley placed the hairbrush onto the counter onto the counter.

"Thank you," The creaking of loose floor boards was heard as the maid scurried out the door.

Lydia Grey stared at her reflection in then crystal clean mirror, it had been an heirloom passed from her mother to her, It was her most prised possession. Engraved on the top of the golden frame work were the words 'nasturtium decorum'. Her mother had died when Lydia was very young, probably only 7 years old. She could still remember the crisp smell of her mothers cinnamon perfume and the bright glow of her emerald green eyes. But most of all she remember the unwavering hatred she felt for that woman.

Lydia took a deep breath trying to calm her unforgiving nerves. She was very different from her mother in appearance, while her mother's warm brown hair and easy smile made her look beautiful, Lydia was cold her unusually pale face barely moving inches throughout the day. Her piercing grey eyes that would pierce into your very soul if you stared at them for too long.

Nonetheless, no one could deny that Lydia Grey was completely and utterly perfect in her appearance. Lydia quietly shuffled herself over to the closed window, barley opening it a crack only to observe the dead city. For one fraction of a moment Lydia giggled when she saw a large waggon coming through the narrow streets.

"Welcome back from the great war"