yard sale part 5

this takes place in a moderately busy suburban neighborhood on a nice summer day. one of the corner houses is having a yard sale. one of the two "$1.50" boxes closer to the crossroad contains a fairly plain lamp. a couple of children riding on bicycles fly by, whooshing by a rose bush near the box and scattering the flowers. one rose that shakes off of the bush gets thrown towards the box, landing and sticking perfectly on the lamp's shade.

when no one seems to be near, the lamp seems to gain consciousness and wake up by opening its green eyes on its lampshade. even though it had the ability to move on its own, it knew not to escape from the box. it wants to wake up, but is trying to avoid being seen by the sale's customers. it keeps almost waking up, but people keep walking by and forcing it into "plain mode."

near the end of the day, people weren't showing up at the shop, so the owner of the house decides to close up shop for the day. the lamp has its face showing, looking at the remainder of the boxes in the yard. when the owner picks up its box, it notices something on the lamp that wasn't there before: a white flower sticking to the shade. he decides to keep it on, since he was sure it would be a bit more profitable with that decoration.

after just remembering to revert, the lamp quickly hides itself, but it was too late. its owner set it on a table so he could transfer the rest of the boxes to the garage. he then pulled up a stool and started to examine the lamp. the lamp timidly reveals its face on its shade, not knowing what the owner would do when he saw it. the owner has had the lamp for just over six years now.

the owner's surprise was inevitable, but the lamp was still somewhat nervous about showing itself. he asked it if it can hear and understand him. the lamp nodded tilting its shade up and down. he asked if it could talk. the lamp rotated its shade side to side, signifying a no. he asked if it's always been alive. it nodded again.

the owner looked confused. he probably didn't know what to do with the lamp, now that he knew it had life, or, at least, consciousness. then he grabbed it and carried it into the house with him. when he set it on a table in the room they entered, he asked the lamp if it could move on its own. another nod was the reply. the next thing the man said was to feel free to explore the house throughout the night, but while staying quiet. he was a light sleeper.

the clock that the lamp was set next to read 8:28. it decided to stay on the table for a bit. 11:13. the man fell asleep after being at the desk for a couple of hours, and the lamp finished getting to know the house. it wondered what was going to happen, now that he's out of the attic.