Chapter 3

Chapter Three:

Lillian

I sat there fiddling with the hem of the skirt Georgina forced me into it this morning. She kept telling me how i was going to be late for my audition into Richmond Musial Academy. I have heard of the school before because it was my dream to go there, but now I’m dreading the thought of even stepping foot on the grounds. The school was going to be filled with a bunch of rich snobby kids who got their parents to pay their way in by the looks of the houses we were passing on our way to the school.

“Are you nervous?” my dad asked trying to make small talk with me. He was at least smart enough not to bring up my sister.

“No.” was all I replied. Yes and No have become my two favorite answers this morning using them whenever my dad would start a conversation with me.

“What are you going to play?” he tried again at conversation, but this time I had to reply with more than one word answers.

I turned to face him, “It’s called Never Forget, I wrote it with my mom.”

“An original, very risky but I’m sure you will do just fine.” He said, adding a small smile.

I turned towards the window trying to hold back the tears forming in my eyes that were searching for away to escape. I couldn’t answer him with the rude comment that was forming in my head because I knew if I spoke the tears would never stop. We went back to our awkward silence.  

The car came to a stop and I looked at my dad, “Are you ready?” he asked. I just answered with a nod.  We got out of the car and started walking to the front of the school. It was beautiful, just how I had always imagined it would be. We walked up to the front door and my dad opened it for me.

We made our way to the front office where we sat in over sized chairs. We waited in silence for what felt like years.  Soon a man came around the corner. He looked about the same age as my dad but he had golden hair and soft blue eyes.

“Hello Mr. DeLoreto.” He said and my dad stood up grasping his hand in a tight grip. He then turned to me and gave me a big smile. “And you must be Lillian.”

I nodded and stood up shaking his hand. “Well I am Mr. Douglas the headmaster of the school. I’m sure you have something prepared to play for us.”

“Yes I do.” I replied.

My dad and I followed behind Mr. Douglas as he explained the procedure of my audition. He had a certain authority in his voice that made you respect him.

We walked into the ballroom where there was a piano and a microphone set up on stage. I was never nervous about  performing in front of people but I could feel my stomach flutter with butterflies. As much as I didn’t want to go to school here and make my dad proud, I also had a small desire to go to the school and make my mom proud.

I walked up the steps on the stage and took a seat on the piano bench. “Alright Lillian whenever you are ready, you begin playing.” I nodded my head again and took a deep breath.

“This is a song I wrote with my mom and it’s called Never Forget.” I spoke directly into the microphone looking at Mr. Douglas in approval. He nodded telling me to begin so I did. I let the notes flow through me as I played every note with the same amount of emotion as I was feeling. My hands slid delicately over the keys so you could hear every note that belong in the story I was telling.

The song ended too soon and I was back in reality of the real world. I looked out into the crowd and I saw my dad and Mr. Douglas smiling.  I walked back down to where they were seated. “That was fantastic Lillian!” my dad exclaimed wrapping his arms around me. I didn’t hug bag because I still wanted nothing to do with him. I wiggled out of his tight embraced and gave him the death look telling him to never do that again.