Chapter One

Third Person

Scarlet sat on her bed. In a dark room only having the phone screen lightly illuminating her face. To someone who cared she looked stunning. 

Luke spread on a couch. Running his hand through his hair, biting his lip. A country of unknown is outside his window but he is here.

"What do you want to know" Luke asked for the fifth time.

"The truth, please just give me the truth" She pleaded.

"I still like Rachel. I want to enjoy my trip, I liked you I promise but I'm not sure how I will feel in six weeks"

"I already know that. I don't want to know where your mind will be in six weeks I want to know where you want your mind to be" This was it. Scarlet knew what she wanted to hear but she knew the reality. 

"I don't know. I like you I swear. I just like Rachel too and don't want to hurt you."

"You don't get to do that" She screamed. "You do't get to tell me you love me, that you want to be with me, then just leave. You can't tell me it will work out and nothing will change but then fall in love with her again so quickly, but get over me even quicker. You're not allowed to replace me like I'm nothing, because I wasn't always nothing to you. If you come back and we become nothing. My last memory of you will be making out in your bed. I will feel used. You would have done the one thing you promised  you wouldn't. Did that mean anything to you?"

There was a pause. Luke doesn't know why his mind changes, or why Scarlet sticks around. But he knows he has fucked up an opportunity to have a beautiful thing for once.

"Yes it meant something to me but I don't think it can happen again cause I don't want to do it to you" 

She can't understand what he means. Does he care or not. Why is he so uncertain.

"I want it, over and over again, I want it. But only if you like me. Because if we end up dating then you're not using me. If you only like my body then yeah, leave me. But you didn't use me. You care. Toby and Max didn't."

With that she hung up. Her friend Tamira asleep in her bed she rolled over. Back facing her, plugged in her headphones and cried herself to sleep. She never wanted it to end like this. She read the messages where Luke said he knew he wouldn't move on. She replayed every time he said he liked her or that it would work out over and over in her thoughts.

But the scariest thing about distance is that you don't know whether they will miss you or forget you. Sometimes you have got to let go to see what comes back. Other times you hold on so tightly that they know where they belong. Sometimes you have to stop being scared and just go for it. Either it'll work or it won't. That's life.