Chapter One

Samuel

I prop my feet up on the desk as I open the blue file in my hands. The first page is filled with basic information about my first assignment: name; date of birth; address; work and education history; and other general information. As I flip through the pages, there are various notes about her history and her abilities; The information that I had spent three years gathering. Océane turned 20 not too long ago, making her finally eligible to come to the facility. These years leading up to this point I have studied her, confirming our suspicions about her. Now, it was time to finally follow through with my assignment.

I close the file as I stand to exit the gray room, walking past the desks of others working, watching security footage, taking notes, reading over files. There aren't many of us here yet, maybe 15 of us, but that should change soon. As word of what we do spreads, and as more targets come of age, our project should increase exponentially. Or at least, that's what we hope.

I walk down many brightly lit hallways until I reach the sleeping quarters, where I make my way over to my bunk at the back of the room. I pull my trunk out from underneath the bed and remove a few changes of clothes, stuffing them into a backpack. I pull out my wallet and keys, putting them in my front pocket, before zipping the bag and pushing the trunk back to its original position underneath the bed.

And with that I leave the facility, finding my way to my car, which I hardly used with no reason to leave the facility. I open the trunk of the old maroon Camaro and drop my bag into it, closing the hood with a loud thud. I climb into the driver's seat of the car and start the engine. I can't help smiling as I pull out of the parking lot and onto the road. I was growing tired of being cooped in the facility, and while my leaving was only for the brief period of time it would take me to bring Océane back with me, completing part one of my assignment, I am glad for the escape.

I roll down the window as I drive, my left arm resting with the elbow hanging outside the open window, my right hand gripping the steering wheel. Soon I pass a large green sign marking my exit from Salem. Next stop: Fairview.