Chapter One (Edited)

Zayla Ingrid

The spring semester had come in full force, and I was thrown into new classes for my majors and minor

The spring semester had come in full force, and I was thrown into new classes for my majors and minor. Though the spring semester normally has students a run for their money, I was feeling nauseous all the time and could not bear to eat certain foods anymore.

When I was not sick, my moods would begin to swing and the fatigue would start. It was really strange because I never felt like this before, especially not before finals week.

It was week six in the term, and I had finished another Business course for today and made plans to meet up with Shay and Natasha for a nice off-campus lunch at In-n-Out. At this point, hamburgers were the only thing that agreed with my stomach, and Shay and Natasha opted this would be the best option.

"Are you feeling any better, Zayla?" Natasha asked as she parked the car and split our food based on our orders. I sighed.

"A little. I have not been sleepy or nauseous lately, so that's a plus."

"You don't think you're pregnant, right?" Shay asked, "I mean are you really sure you used protection and took the pill?"

"Yes, I even double-checked my prescription," I told her.

"Maybe it was that stomach bug going around your campus? It seemed like it bounced from Los Angeles to San Diego," Natasha said as she took bites out of her burger. Shay nodded at her.

"Possibly. If it isn't the bug, her period must be coming soon. Periods have you having mood swings and such. How's the burger, Zayla?" Shay asked.

"Pretty good. I should have gotten fries, damn."

I reached over and tried to sneak some of Shay's fries, but she swatted my hands away.

"Aht, aht. Get your own," Shay playfully scolded. She handed me a few fries before Natasha dug around in the bag and found another small container of fries.

"Looks like they gave me two orders. You can have this one, Zay," Natasha said passing it to me.

We finished our food and I started to feel a wave of nausea. Natasha and Shay looked back at me worriedly.

"Feeling nauseous again?" Shay asked. I nodded at her.

"Do you have to throw up?" Natasha asked. I shook my head no.

"No, at least I don't think-" I began.

My surroundings started to spin, and the next thing I knew I was blacking out and falling on my side in the backseat of Natasha's car amidst Natasha's gasps and Shay's screams.