Venom

I was walking through the bush the usual way, the sky was a dark grey, covered in a thick sheet of clouds casting a disdainful shadow over me. A squirrel scampered up a tree, making me jump, recovering I kept walking, thinking about what I did last night and what went wrong. I knew I shouldn’t have done it, but I had to know. I had to find out about my past and why I was the one to inherit this cursed family gene. My father disappeared when he found out my mother was pregnant, just took off, bastard. He could have stayed and helped me through this curse he gave me. It is his responsibility, after all isn’t the father meant to look after us not ditch us.

My thinking came to a stop as I bumped into someone at the school gates, I looked up just as green eyes met mine. Cato stepped back and apologised, making just enough room for me to slip through. As I passed he asked the worst question, “so Silver, what happened at your place last night?”

 “What do you mean Cato, as far as I’m concerned nothing happened last night,” I warily replied.

 “Course something happened, around half past nine a flash of light, like really bright came from your window. Almost as bright as lightning,” he informed me.                                    

 “Nothing happened, Cato. Beware your wicked witch of the west is coming,” I told him, changing the subject as Layla walked up behind Cato, glaring at me. Layla’s the perfect stereotypical popular girl. She has short, jagged jet black hair, grey eyes and the perfect body, unlike me. My names Silver, I have dull brown hair, blue eyes and barely there curves. Cato’s the perfect match for Layla, he’s popular, blond hair, emerald green eyes and the body of a professional footy player. The only problem is for some strange reason he doesn’t like her. When I asked him why he just said that he would rather spend time with me, I had just stared at him in disbelief.

“She’s not my witch,” he whispered furiously, pulling me back into the present. Layla reached us and slung her arm around Cato’s shoulders.

“Why Cato how lovely to see you, but why are you talking to yourself, can’t you see there’s only a pile of garbage there?” she asked him pointing to me.                                               

“The only garbage I see has its arm around my shoulder,” He replied defensively. Layla glared at me knowing that she could never have Cato and I could; that’s if I wanted. But I don’t and I won’t, not ever. I turned and walked towards the school doors and saw Cato out the corner of my eye trying to catch up with me, I walked faster. He caught the door as it went to swing shut and walked in beside me.

“Well, I saw you hunting last night,” he declared as we walked down the corridor. Great I thought, now I have a stalker.

“Yeah I was walking to the bakery and spotted you in the bushes, it amazes me how you can be so quiet,” he explained.

“Well it all comes with the talent,” I told him wishing he would leave me alone. Finally we reached my classroom I opened the door and walked inside.

“Bye,” Cato said, I turned around and answered by slamming the door in his face.

 My high school is like every other, well not really, I live in a forgotten city actually I wouldn’t even call it a city more like a town, or a village. Anyway so our whole town is surrounded by forest. We have our own education, our own democracy, completely different from the real world. I know, I know if we’re a forgotten town then how do we know about the rest of the world? To be completely honest I don’t know any more than what our history books say, that we separated ourselves from the real world to escape the anger, chaos and violence. But every now and again everyone finds a report nailed to our doors telling us about the real world and all their wars. I think the boss is just trying to scare us into staying here.