Wattpad Original
This is the last free part

5 | jian

"Mr

     "Mr. Li," the girl before him, Kasey, whispered, her eyes wide open. Jian didn't really understand why she was calling him Mr. Li or sir since their age gap was only two years but he didn't want to correct her nonetheless. Kasey may have felt more comfortable with the distance the title created or whatever.

     Unlike her usual ponytail, her hair was down today and she was wearing a cute blue dress with white high heels. He didn't intentionally and willingly let his gaze wander on her body—it was a merely instinctive act while the girl was looking at him as if a giant bear appeared on her doorstep. Suddenly feeling uncomfortable of this silence, which was very unlikely of Jian, he cleared his throat and took a step toward her. "Hi."

     Matt's words rang in his ears when he looked into Kasey's shocked eyes. You have no right to be a dick to her, he'd said, she's my sister's best friend, Jian. The key point in this sentence was that Kasey mentioned—complained about—his grumpiness to Matt. That was a low blow; something that you knew even from elementary school. Whatever problem you have with someone, you go to them first to solve. Not their best friend. Swallowing his anger, actually postponing it for a later time, he said, "Can I come in or will we stand here looking at each other?"

     As if the girl suddenly woke up from her nightmare, she stepped aside, letting him enter in. "I'm sorry, just—" She muttered before Tess cut her off with a high-pitched voice. "Jian! Welcome!"

     Jian, awkwardly tearing his gaze from Kasey, went to hug Tess. When Tess wrapped her arms around him, she hissed in his ear. "What did you buy her?" This morning, she called Jian—he didn't recognize her for a couple of minutes—and told him that today was Kasey's birthday and as a good employer as he was, that was pure sarcasm though, he had to attend and buy a really nice gift to make up to her. No matter how many times Jian said he had things to do, she didn't listen and told him to come even if for half an hour.

     Shrugging off her arms from his shoulder, he glanced at Tess with a knowing grin. "Don't worry," he whispered, even less audible than Tess' hiss, "she'll love it." Turning back at Kasey, who was watching them suspiciously, he put up a soft grin and said, "Happy birthday."

     "Thank you," she said gingerly and exchanged glances with her best friend. Jian usually didn't understand women, and their secretive glances, but Kasey was so clueless that he realized he could actually read her pretty well. For instance, now, by that glance, she meant death. It was so obvious she had no idea that the man she called a dick was invited to her birthday party. When two girls walked, he followed them into the room.

     It'd been a long time since he last happened to be among more than two people. He used to be outgoing; the party-goer. Now, he barely had time to breathe, and he only attended bars to pour down drinks. He looked at Kasey and realized she was looking at him expectantly—she must have asked something he didn't hear. "What?"

icon lock

Show your support for Şevval, and continue reading this story

by Şevval
@beautlies
When college student Kasey Whitton takes a job babysitting for single...
Buy a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 32 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @beautlies.