Chapter 1

"Pakistan has 40 runs to make in 30 balls. Will they be able to pull it off? We will find out in the next couple of overs." The commentator excitedly summarized.

It was that time of the year when cricket fever was very high. In most cricket loving countries it had become a necessity to breathe, eat, drink and live cricket. This was evident at the stadium of one of the World Cup matches. The cricket stadium was loud with excited fans and spectators, the high pitch of the commentator's voice was carrying the nerve-racking position of the match. It could in anyone's game at this stage.

Eyes glued to the television screen and seated at the edge of the couch seat, Saad had his hands folded in front of his face. The anticipation had accelerated his heart beat. The bowler started running forward for the ball, his hand arm swung and the ball delivered but before Saad could watch the outcome of the ball, Leena screeched and ran toward him pulling at his t-shirt collar.

Saad yelped in pain as the toddler dug her nails in his throat. He muttered profanity which was too mature for the child's innocent ear, but he didn't care at that moment he was struggling to detangle himself from his younger child and shouted at the top of his lungs, "SANA!!!"

Within seconds, his wife Sana appeared in the living room, exasperated she eyed the scene in front of her. This was nothing new at all. The little one wanted her daddy's attention but it was wrong timing. Saad was busy watching the cricket match.

"Leena, what did I tell you? Not to disturb Daddy."

But her voice fell on deaf ears as the child whimpered and tightened her hold on her Daddy.

"Just get her out of here." He finally managed to untangle her arms from his neck.

Rubbing the back of his neck, he jumped up and moved closer to the television. "What the hell! You made me miss the last couple of balls. Can you not just take care of her for a few minutes?"

Sana paused in the act of pulling Leena in her arms, her eyes slid to her husband's rigid back. He was still rubbing the back of his neck. His barbs had become a daily occurrence. There were times she ignored them but there were times that it hurt too much.

She gritted her teeth, "Stop insulting me in front of Leena."

Instead of responding to her, he cheered when the last ball of the over went up in the air and across the field for a six. "YESS!!" He punched in the air.

Oblivious to any of the hurt he had caused or even Sana's remark, he turned around, "Keep her with you for a while." Dismissing her, he seated again on the couch and demanded, "Can you make me another cup of tea?"

She blinked, did he not hear her? Did he not see what he had just uttered a few minutes ago? Not wanting to create a scene, Sana lifted the toddler in her arms and carried her out of the room, that's when her eyes clashed with her mother in law, Saira Bano. Her smug look gave away that she had been eavesdropping as usual.

"And bring in some cookies. My son would want something to munch on with tea," Saira called out. She smiled sweetly sitting beside her favourite son, "Wouldn't you dear?"

Nodding absently, "Ya Ma," Saad still was engrossed in the cricket match.

Lost in the match, Saad never realized the turmoil of emotions going through his wife. He wasn't aware of her watery eyes. Over the years, when living with your partner one gets comfortable. Way too comfortable. Saad had become careless and many times was incognizant to her emotions which mattered the most.

****

Every night Sana had to put the girls to bed. Nida, the older one was now 4 years old and in the last one year had become far more responsible and independent. She didn't need to be cuddled to go to sleep. But Leena, she was a completely different story. The girl was only a year and a half younger than Nida but she acted far younger. She wanted her mother's arm around her when going to sleep and it always took ages for Sana to put her to bed. Many nights Sana would end up dozing off with Leena and Saad would have to go to the girl's room and wake his wife to come to her own bed. Tonight was no exception, browsing the social media for the reaction of Pakistan's great win, Saad patiently waited for his wife.