1: Okay But Do I Really Have To?

"Yes!" my mom exclaimed for what quite literally might be the millionth time.

"Okay, but do I really have to?" I asked out of desperation, already knowing that 'no, I could not stay in Texas alone while the rest of the family goes to the Bahamas' was her final answer.

She gave off an exasperated sigh as she turned her signal on and gracefully shifted lanes. We were on our way back home from shopping all day. Well, she shopped. I refused anything she tried to buy me and told her I would just pack the clothes I already have. It's not even because I wasn't excited about staying with Aunt Kacy for the summer- which I wasn't. I simply didn't like shopping. I might not be considered a 'normal' girl for not wanting to take my clothes on and off and try on new ones, but oh well.

"Zalayna, I just wish you would come with us. Despite what you think, we love having you around," my mom finally spoke as we approached our driveway.

I reached up and pressed the button to let the left garage door up. "I know, but you guys go have fun. You know I'm antisocial, I just don't want to hold y'all back from meeting and hanging out with new people and stuff. I just wish you would realize that I'm mature enough to stay at home by myself!" I exclaimed, frustratedly.

"I know you are, Zalayna. But Kacy hasn't seen you in forever!" she said. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes. It's not like I didn't miss Aunt Kacy, too. I mean, ever since she moved to Boston when I was little, we'd only seen her a fraction of what we used to. The last time we went, I was really young. But I was really looking forward to strict solitude for the summer. I tried not to be around people long enough to build a close relationship with them. And I just generally don't like being around people that long who aren't my immediate family.

"And I know she misses you," she added on, as she pulled into the garage and reached over to let the garage door back down with the remote. I don't even know why she was still trying to convince me to go to Aunt Kacy's like I had another choice. It's either Bahamas or Boston. She made that very clear.

"Okay fine," I mumbled.

I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the passenger side door to get out of the car. I looked over and saw my dad's black Tesla on the right side of the garage- he was home. I grabbed some of my mom's bags from the trunk before opening the back door to our house and walking in.

I walked down the hall leading into the kitchen. My dad was making himself a mug of coffee- at 5:37 in the evening might I add- and my brother was leaning on the countertop watching the flat screen mounted in the corner of our kitchen. The Cavs were playing Golden State tonight and he was watching whatever was on now before the game. He always turns it on the channel early as not to miss it. As my mom and I entered, my dad looked up over his glasses at us and smiled.

"Hey, Light Bright," he greeted me ruffling my hair. I went in to give him a hug. I was almost as tall as my dad. He was 6'0 and I was 5'5". Well, I guess 'almost' isn't quite the right word but I was pretty tall. We both towered over my mom because she was only 5'2" and my brother looked down on us all- he stood tall at around 6'4".

I smiled slightly as my dad calls me the nickname he'd given me as a baby that he only used occasionally. Apparently, when my mom gave birth to me, I came out really, really white. My dad exaggerated it to the point that he says I was 'so bright I lit up the whole room'. Ever since, he'd call me Light Bright every now and then.

As we backed up from our hug, my dad went to kiss my mom on the cheek, "Hey, honey," he said sweetly. Ugh. They were almost so cute I wanted to vomit. I quickly turned away and walked up to Zyon. "Hey, Zy." I came up beside him and gave him a side hug.