"Not What you Need"

I wake up startled and confused as Derek gently puts me down in my bed.

"You carried me all the way home?" I ask groggily.

"It's no big deal."

I look into his eyes, "that was like five miles."

He cracks his back with his knuckles before before pointing to my alarm clock, 1:08. "Almost got you here on time too."

"That clock runs fast," I say while slowly sitting up, "it's actually-- wait... where's my phone?!"

"It's not in your pocket?"

"Shit. Shit shit shit shit!" I announce, "I left it on the porch table at Boo's house!"

Derek sighs, "well, I gotta walk back anyways for our cars. I can bring you your phone too."

I smile sadly, "your the nicest boy I've met. Too nice for me... I will go wake up Drayton so he can drive you."

I stand up and barge into my older brother Drayton's room and jump on his bed. "The fuck?" He whispers before opening his eyes, "Melanie? What do you want?"

"Can you drive my friend five miles down the road to pick up mom's and his car?"

"Dude no, it's one in the morning."

"I'm not letting him walk. We need a car."

He groans, "my keys are on the table over there, crash it and your dead to me."

I smile and thank him, then grab his keys and go back to my room. I jingle the keys at Derek and then we run out the front door. He offers to drive, so I hop into the passengers seat. As we drive off I look through the rear view mirror at the street lights. They fade into the night leaving a blurred trail of light.

"Thank you." I say breaking the stillness. After tonight I wouldn't be surprised if Derek never wants to talk to me again.

"Calm down, it's fine I swear. Sadly I have nothing better to do."

"I mean.. sleep sounds pretty good about now!" I joke.

He laughs under his breath. "Hey, did you know that you talk in your sleep? Like a lot."

I shiver. "Yeah, my dad used to get mad at me for it..." my voice trails off.

"That's kinda harsh. Well anyways, you just kept talking about the stars and the lights. I mean, I knew you liked them, but I didn't think you dreamed about them!" Then he laughs again.

"Hope is being able to see that there is light, despite all the darkness."

He just glances at me and then goes back to driving.

"So how's your sister?"

"Camille? She's great, really great. She's definitely enjoying that roll on Sunset Blvd. that she took from you."

I laugh, "it's cool, I'm too old to play that character anyways. I'm actually glad they turned me down, because they put me in to play the older sister instead." Sunset Blvd. is the ABC show that both me and Camille were trying out for the day I met Derek. When we are filming, I see Camille all the time since we're sisters in the show; but we are on season right now, so they don't need us in there.

He just smiles for a minute. After the long pause he says, "you know, I wish you were the same person during the day that you are at night."

"Aren't I already?"

"No. Your more quiet during the day, you stay to yourself. At night you like to have more fun."

"Isn't everyone like that though? Let's be honest." I say while resting my hand on the car door handle. It would be so easy right now to unbuckle, open the door, and just jump out. I wouldn't die, probably just a few scratches.