Comforting a Friend (Part 2)

(Dorian POV)

He gently lowered Aelin into the steaming warm water, still wearing her nightgown. The tub was adorned with an assortment of decorated glass vials containing all different scents and soaps.

Grabbing the bottle marked lavender, Dorian made to start washing her hair, when small fingers wrapped around his wrists stopping him. Turning to glare at him out of the corner of her eyes, she spoke.

"I am perfectly capable of washing my own hair, Dorian." Her voice was softer than normal, but he could see her there, buried beneath her grief.

"Of course, you are. I just enjoy the smell of lavender." Winking he handed the little bottle of soap to her. Suddenly very aware of how see through her silk nightgown had become in the warm water, Dorian abruptly stood to take his leave.

"Um, I'll be right outside if you need anything." He said as he nearly sprinted out the door.

While Aelin bathed Dorian took it upon himself to send for two Chocolate cakes, candy, and many bottles of wine. He had just finished setting up a small picnic of sorts on the floor in front of the fireplace, near Aelin's reading couch when he heard the bedroom door creak open. The Queen of Terrasen was standing in the doorway wearing a robe with her wet hair down, and tossed loosely over her shoulder.

She was up, she was walking around and moving. Dorian let himself have that one small victory. He had half expected to have to pull her out of the bathtub himself, but here she was. He shouldn't be surprised, she was always stronger than he thought.

Smiling, he gestured to the picnic beside him, "Don't make me drink all this wine on my own." Aelin crossed the floor slowly and sat down a good three feet away from him, leaning her back against the sofa. Dorian filled two glasses with wine and handed one to her, which she took and quickly drained. After refilling her second glass Dorian leaned back and sipped his own.

They sat together like that in silence drinking and eating cake. To some the silence might have been awkward or unbearable, but to them it was comfortable. It wasn't until Dorian opened the third bottle of wine, that the peaceful silence was broken.

"So what is the witch up to these days?" Aelin slurred as she swirled her red wine around in her glass. The sudden question took him slightly off guard, he didn't want to talk about his relationship while she was hurting. "She is in the wastes, helping the Crochans rebuild." He mumbled while trying to think of another topic to steer the conversation to. "You know I stumbled across an old friend of yours the other day, he says hello." Aelin looked at him confused, waiting for him to continue. "Well, maybe it wasn't quite as kind as that, he was pretty upset at just being left behind in the mess... again. He loved me though, apparently I know the correct questions to ask, unlike a certain demanding imbecile " Dorian added waiting for her to piece it together. Suddenly Aelin burst out laughing, "So you met Mort?" He nodded, and from there they talked and laughed and drank, they drank a lot.

Dorian knew he was a glass or two more away from being totally plastered, but the wine had brought color back to the face of his friend and he was just trying to keep up with her. Aelin suddenly jumped up and walked across the room opening one of the other adjoining doors disappearing inside. Dorian stared after her. Just as he was wondering if he was supposed to follow. "You coming?" rang out through the room. Groaning as he stood to his feet, Dorian wobbled towards the room she had disappeared into.

It was a game room, and in the middle of the room was a billiards table. Dorian smiled as Aelin tossed him a cue stick. He caught it just before it smacked him in the face. Aelin gestured to the table, "My skills haven't improved since we last played, but judging on how you can barely stand. I think I have a fair shot." She added with a beautiful smile spreading across her face. Dorian straightened as best he could and sauntered over to the table. "Oh my dear, you forget I have had much experience playing billiards while inebriated, it is one of my great skills." He slurred as he placed the cue ball in the middle of the table, and bent downwards to align his shot. Making eye contact with Aelin he struck the cue ball breaking the other balls apart, in the mess of the opening shot two stripe colored balls found their way into a side pocket. Dorian smiled, "I believe you'll be solids then." Aelin rolled her eyes, and shoved another glass of wine in his hand.

(Aedion POV)

It was almost midnight and Dorian freaking Havilliard had not yet exited Aelin's room. Lysandra had lectured him about giving them space, and told him over and over that everything was alright, but he just couldn't take it anymore. Storming down the hall towards the Queens chambers, he yanked open the door stomping inside, only to come to a screeching halt at the sound that filled his ears. Laughter. Aelin's laughter. That freaking idiot had done it, he had gotten her to laugh. A part of him wanted to cry for joy, while the other was filled with jealousy that the King of Adarlan was able to help her more than he could.

The laughter seemed to be coming from the game room, so he crossed the room to peak inside. Oh gods, the empty wine bottles on the floor, could be the only explanation for what he saw. Dorian was lying on the Billiards table shirtless. Aelin was kneeling beside him using chocolate icing to draw out swirls across his back, laughing as she did so.

Shaking his head, Aedion started backing out of the room, when Dorian caught his eye. "Aedion!" he boomed. "Would you like a non-permanent delicious tattoo?" He asked as he dipped a finger into one of the swirls going across his chest. Aelin slapped his hand, "Stop messing up my art, Havilliard!" Dorian continued to raise his finger to his mouth, "I can't help it, It's delicious." Aelin giggled. She actually giggled, as she dipped her finger into the chocolate icing to continue tracing designs on Dorian's skin.

"Aelin got tired of me beating her at billiards." Dorian slurred, closing his eyes. Aelin laughed, "You could barely stand, better yet hit the cue ball." Dorian shrugged. "Semantics"

"Sounds like fun, but don't you think it's about time to call it a night." He was met by a chorus of no's. Aedion rubbed his eyes, still not fully believing that his cousin was sitting on the Billiards table covered in icing drawing "tattoos" on the King of Adarlan. Another high pitched laughing squeal filled the room. She was smiling, for the first time in months, and laughing. She was enjoying herself. Drunk, yes, but having fun. He would owe Dorian forever for this, and he hated that, but he was glad so very glad that he had been able to help her. The sound of his name being called brought him out of his thoughts, "Aedion come here so that I might paint you!" Aelin screamed while pointing a finger covered in icing in his direction. Laughing Aedion took a step backwards as he said, "No thanks." Aelin pouted at him and then returned to her current design. Shaking his head Aedion turned and left his friends laughing and drinking.