Prologue

Prologue 

"Honey...wake up." A soft, serene voice awoke her; she opened her magnificent cerulean eyes. Lucy's mother smiled and wished her a happy birthday. "You turn seven today..." Her mother bent down and gently pressed her lips against her warm forehead. "Get ready, I made you a special breakfast." Her mother grinned as she headed out the door. 

The tired Lucy rubbed her eyes and while she yawned she stretched her arms out wide. She slid out of bed and she flinched when she realized that the floor was freezing cold. She skid to her bureau and pulled out a pair of lime green socks and slid them onto her tiny feet. She then walked a little faster until she reached her bathroom, she pulled her small body onto the stool so she could see the mirror, her eyes were now reflecting from the mirror and she smiled at herself.

She grabbed her toothbrush and began scrubbing her teeth and when she finished she rinsed out her mouth with warm water and then washed her face, she then leaped down from the stool and went back to her room. She opened her closet door and grabbed a knee length yellow dress with flowers covering it. She unbuttoned her pajama shirt and then tugged off her pants and pulled on the dress. She looked in the mirror that was much larger than she was and she smiled with excitement as she began to realize that she was another year older. 

Lucy pushed a few strands of hair behind her right ear and then decided that it was time to go downstairs by the time she could smell the food. She ran down the stairs cheerfully and arrived in the kitchen about twenty seconds later. Her mother and father yelled happy birthday and gave her many kisses and hugs. This was a day for celebration for in the society, turning seven meant a new age of responsibility and she could start going out on her own and hanging out with her friends and her curfew was extended.

Her mother gave her a plate full of blueberry pancakes which she wanted so badly to eat up, she watched as her father poured sweet syrup onto her pancakes. He grinned and told her that she could eat after her mother finished frying the bacon. When she finished frying the bacon and placed it beside her plate and she began eating. She savored the sweet pancakes and the salty bacon. When she finished she drank the whole cup of orange juice that her mom had poured. 

"Thank y..." While Lucy was finishing her thanks a loud noise protruded through the house, society soldiers were storming into the house, their guns pointed at her parents. "You have been chosen by the society." The main soldier sighed and pulled Lucy away from her parents. "You have been arrested for working against the society...working with the rebels is a serious crime." The soldiers surrounded her parents and the last thing Lucy could remember doing was calling out with tears in her eyes. 

"Mama!!Papa!!" Warm tears leaked down her cheeks and dripped onto the floor, the soldier that held her back sighed. This was always the hardest part of his job, the crying...She tried to get away from him but his tight grip made her cry out louder. 

"Mama! Papa..." Her voice cracked as she continued to  cry, her tears were unbelievably painful for the guard to watch. "Mama....papa" Her voice became even lower as her emotions took over. Tears dripped from her eyes, she could no longer see them. They were out the door...and out of her life forever. 

"The society will care for you now" The soldier said more serious this time. He wanted to care for this little girl. She needed someone to love and someone to love her and he was reminded of himself when his parents had been taken away. 

"I will care for you." He spoke gently...as he ran his fingers through her shoulder length light brown hair and soon the soilders boss came in and told the soldier that he would now care for the girl and he would leave his position as soon as he could. 

The soldier couldnt believe how the little girl glared at him with such pain and sadness that he couldnt remove his eyes from her cerulean eyes.He would now be her guardian until he could explain to her what had happened to her parents.