1

Chapter 1

"Lucas, what am I going to do with you?!" My mother gasped as she opened the apartment door, staring at me with her cold, dark brown eyes that were full of disappointment. 

"Mom, I'm fine!" I hissed walking into my older brother, John's, apartment. 

"NO YOU'RE NOT!" She yelled, following me as I made my way to the couch. "YOU GOT SHOT!" She crossed her arms, glaring down at me as I plopped myself onto the soft cushions. 

"Mom, it's not the first time!" I sighed, placing my arm up on a pillow, turning on the television. 

"MAMA MIA! MIO DIO!" She threw her hands up in the air as she stood directly between me and the tv, blocking my view. "SEI UNA RAGAZZA PAZZA! MI STO TRATTENENDO DA SCHIAFFI UNO! HO INTENZIONE DI SCHIAFFO IN FACCIA!" She yelled, pointing at me sternly and throwing her arms in crazy directions. 

"Mom, I don't understand you when you start talking in Italian!" I laughed slightly, as she glared at me. 

"I SAID I'M GOING TO SMACK YOU ONE! I'm GOING TO SMACK YOU IN THE FACE!" She screamed before storming into the kitchen, muttering more Italian phrases. "What do you want to eat?!" She hissed, making me smile. 

"I'm not hungry mom, but thank you!" I looked at her as the fire grew in her eyes. 

"Che Dio mi aitu, è meglio mangiare qualcosa o ho intenzione di schiaffo!" She spoke rapidly as my older brother ran down the stairs. 

"MOM!" I yelled. "What do you not get?! You can yell at me in Italian all you want but I'm never going to understand you!" I sat up and she shook the knife she was using to cut up her carrots at me. 

"Maybe you should pick up a book for once!" She hissed and I rolled my eyes. 

"Sorry ma but I'm a little busy protecting you from terrorists!" I yelled as John cleared his throat. 

"WHAT?!" My mother and I yelled simultaneously. 

"Can someone take Rizzo for a walk while I get ready for work?" He sighed and I stood up. 

"I'd be honored to!" I hissed, grabbing the blue dog leash from his hands. "Where even is that little monster?" I sighed, fixing my sling. 

"RIZ!" John whistled and the young yet mellow, big pawed, black and white Bernese Mountain dog came slowly and carefully down the stairs, wagging his tail happily as he walked over to me. 

"Hey baby!" I smiled petting his head with my hand that wasn't in the sling. "Hello!" I giggled as he kissed me back, leaving my face in a gross yet satisfying slobber. 

"Thanks Luke!" John smirked as I latched the leash onto Rizzo's collar. 

"Anytime!" I smiled, standing up. "Why did you name him Rizzo? After Rizzo from Grease?" I raised an eyebrow as I slipping my phone into the pocket of my back Nike hoodie and John just laughed at me. 

"After Anthony Rizzo, on the best baseball players in the league! When you live in Chicago, everything you do is named after those cubs no matter how terrible or how amazing they are!" He smiled and I nodded, slipping on my black Adidas shower shoes. 

"Well back in DC, everything is named after the US!" I sighed, leading Rizzo the front door. 

"Torna in tempo per cena la mia figlia pazza!" My mom yelled as I started my way out. 

"All I understood from that sentence was dinner!" I sighed, running out that apartment so quickly, never wanting to return again.