Chapter Two

After returning to the hotel, the class was ordered to meet in the lobby. "I have some bad news," Mr. Henk's bald head reflected the fluorescent light. Beads of sweat raced down his bulbous cheeks. He wiped the sweat from his brow and continued. "The Picture Museum is closed today due to renovations. We won't be going, so you all have free time until dinner. Just stay in the hotel."

"Damn," Beau chuckled behind Mollie. The hairs on the back of her neck stood on end. "It looks like Henk went swimming in his clothes."

"I've never seen a man sweat so much," Sebastian remarked.

Mollie wasn't sure why, but she felt like she needed to say something in response. She wanted to at least try to be a part of a conversation. Hell, she wanted to stick it to Beau that she could let her hair down. Wrapping a tendril around her finger, she closed her eyes and mumbled, "He needs to sue his deodorant company." Was it the most clever joke? Definitely not. It wasn't exactly kind, either. It was far from anything she would ever laugh at, but the two erupted in laughter.

"What's so funny?" Luisa linked arms with Mollie, beaming at her now smirking friend.

"Nothing," Mollie fought against her grin. "What should we do?"

"I'm going to text my mom some pictures we took earlier," she shrugged. "She's dying to see all the statues. We might video chat, too. I want to show her the pool. Might even drop by Micaela Davenport's room since she got the single bed. That screams hookup-ready."

Mollie shook her head, laughing "I think I'll just go up and rest. Today really wore me out."

"Do you need anything?" a hesitant look spread across her face.

"I'm fine," Mollie said, and she actually meant it. She jabbed her thumb in the direction of the elevators. "I'll probably study some French. J'ai un grand examen la semaine prochaine. Toi, aussi."

"Au revoir," she laughed, not even trying to pronounce it correctly. "You've got the pass, so let me in later."

"Will do," a soft smile found its way to Mollie's face as she made her way to the elevator. Her stomach even began to rumble; her lunch was only a few stolen pieces of Luisa's fries. She considered ordering a large cheese pizza right to the hotel, so she could curl up with her duvet and watch movies. As soon as the doors were closing, a hand plunged between them, causing them to open back up so Beau could enter.

Her appetite left as quickly as it came.

"So," he rocked back and forth on his heels as the elevator ascended. Time was moving too slowly for Mollie's comfort. She swore that she'd puke all over his white shoes if he even mentioned her getting sick the night prior. "Wanna hang?"

Closing her eyes for a second, she thanked the universe for the night sky and poor lighting. He doesn't remember. She mulled over the question before responding with a simple "what?"

"We could light up," he suggested. "If that's your kind of thing."

"I don't really know you."

"I know. We can get to know each other, can't we?"

Mollie's stomach lurched. "I... don't know."

"What if I dare you?" He offered a weak smile. Mollie gripped the railing.

"You dare me?"

"Not yet. I mean, not unless you'll accept."

The elevator came to a stop and the door opened. She wasn't sure why, but Mollie painted an almost playful smirk on her face. "Maybe sometime before we go back home."