Prologue

Prologue

I had never given much thought to what I wanted out of life. It didn’t seem to matter to anyone, so I never concerned myself with the details. It’s not like my opinion had ever been valued by anyone anyway.

Ever since I can remember, I had always been told what to do, who to be and what to think. There was never much room for my own thoughts, while everyone kept shoving their own in my head. I had been raised to believe in the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost—there was never any tolerance for questioning this belief. All I knew was that I was supposed to believe; so I did.

The summer I turned sixteen, you could say, is when my life really began. It was then, that I realized some things needed to be questioned, and not everything I had been raised to believe was right.

My past isn’t a fairytale, and I won’t pretend that it is. A domino effect—caused by one supposedly inconsequential action— eventually caused my world to be turned upside down. The sheltered life I had known was ripped from me in a matter of weeks.

The events to follow are not all gumdrops and candy canes. They are real, and you should know that they are not sugar coated. I feel as though I should give you fair warning. With that being said, I know that my story needs to be heard. Who knows; maybe it will even help someone who was, or is, just like me.

My name is Aliss Bingley, and this is my story.