Chapter 1

I guess this is where I should start explaining the back-story of my life, seeing that most people would be clueless about what just happened.

Or, at lest, that’s what Dave says is good story telling.

My world, the official term will come later, is split into two continents, running along Latitude lines, making two, very large circles.  One was centered right on the equator, the other just far enough away that it took a day to travel by boat there.  Another cosmetic thing to mention is that our sun rises in the South and sets in the North. This means naturally, the central continent is very arid, and mostly desert. The people that come from there are simple, but amazingly tough, and some are even to have been known to live hundreds of years. This does not mean, however, that they are peaceful. The people coming from the other continent were smarter, more advanced. Some say it was because the climate allowed more people to live, and thus, more ideas to be born. Others say it was because the weather let more resources grow within the continent. Still others say it was because the people bound together very early during civilization, agreeing to not conflict each other. Finally, one man said it was because of the lack of Sasquatch creatures in the area.  Whatever the reason, the climate or the lack of Bigfoot, this continent thrived, and many advances were made. One day, the West made contact with the East.

Chaos ensued.

Or whatever you would consider chaos involving a war against primitive people and people whose guns could shoot both bolts of electricity and bullets, depending of the setting. Well, the first war wasn’t exactly that far out matched, seeing that the West had just perfected wooden boats. From that point on, the Tribes of the East; contained within the arid continent, had a purpose besides fighting each other: Destroying these new comers. In the course of a year, they too had perfected boat building, and made several raids on costal towns in the West.

Then they disappeared just as quickly.

This continued for the next millennium; the West going over to the East, the East then stealing their technology, adapting it, then attacking. Finally, the Governments of the West decided they had enough, and they would kill every single living thing in the West.

And they did just that. Within the years end, not a single human being was living the West. Or, who were left alive were taken into camps and never seen again.

Cheery to have around your home, isn’t it?

I guess I should actually introduce myself a bit better now, seeing that you just got a crash course on Nadaa history. My name is Sarah. If you would ask for a last name, I’d probably look at you a bit weird, because the Nadaa region never believed in classifying people into last names. I live in the Southern region of Nadaa, where most of the steel was produced during the wars, but ever since the Last Great War, the area kind of died, seeing that steel no longer sold, and a better metal was formed. Finally, the town I live in, Sardin, is one of those dead mill towns, right next to the river. Oh, and did I mention that a wall of fog has enveloped the city? No, well, it does.

But enough history. Let’s move on with that story, because it is one worth telling.

Once we got back to my home, the first thing that Dave did was crash onto the couch, and promptly fall asleep. “Great,” I thought, “Another free loader.” But just as I said that, his eyes flew open, still that stunning blue. “Quick, do you have any candles?” He asked rather frantically.

“Uhh, I think. But you do know that the sun doesn’t set for another five hours?” I replied.

“Yeah, but we might need them later, get them out now. I can help.” He said, as I lead him into the storage room in my house.  Ever since that wall of fog descended on our town’s border, the power had been sketchy. After lugging three boxes of tall, white candles, he asked about the one thing I had been waiting for: “So can I borrow a room? I promise that I won’t be longer than a night.” And so I showed him upstairs to the guest room, down the hall from my own.

“Great,” He said, “How about I get changed really quick, and you can show me the town?”

I hesitated. Normally I would’ve been fine showing a stranger around, but seeing that after the fog descended three months ago, we had no strangers, I was slightly concerned.

“Sure.” I said, and probably sealed my fate forever.