Chapter 2

I’d say about five minutes later, Dave finally emerged from his room.  I say finally, because it took me less time to dress than did for him; and I’m a female. I decided to wear something simple: black T-shirt, blue jeans, a leather jacket, shin-high boots, and a raspberry red fatigue cap, which I tucked my hair up under. I grabbed both my spring-knife, and my grandfather’s pistol, the first going into my right boot, the last going into the actual holster. Usually I wouldn’t have taken the pistol, but it was Hallow‘s eve, and strange things have been known to happen. Dave, however, thought that something more elegant was required, and man, I’m pretty sure my jaw hit the floor when I saw him.

The first thing I noticed was his hat; it was almost like a ball cap, but the top of it slouched forward, almost over the brim, showing a circular top. Then I saw the jacket. It was a forest green coat that settled just below his hips, covering his thighs a bit. Two rows of brass buttons ran across the front of it, each of them looking hand polished.  Finally, a matching pair of forest green pants rounded off his outfit.  A scabbard hung at his hip, but no sword was in it.

I stared at him, a bit flabbergasted. I had seen the uniforms of the Nadaa army up to The Last Great War, and this was defiantly was not one they wore. I saw that the material looked very heavy, and immediately guess that it would have been a killer to wear during the summer. My face must’ve been hilarious, because the first thing Dave did was stifle a chuckle when he saw me. Then he quietly said “Uh, are you going to give me that tour, or will I have to figure the town out myself?”

I slowly nodded my head, then quickly shook it, snapping me back to reality. “Sure,” I said “Follow me, and maybe we’ll be done before the night scares you to death.” He seemed a bit put off when I said that last part, but followed me nonetheless.

The first place I took him was the shore, right next to the river. There was a small drop to the river, which made it the perfect place to sit and forget about things. The only problem was the wall of fog that hung right at the shore. “So here’s where the river was.” I told Dave. “I say was, because it was here right before this Fog came and blocked my view of it.”

Dave took a very hard look at the Fog, even put his hand into it to feel it, I guess. He looked at me, “This stuff go around the whole town?” He asked.

“Yup,” I said, “Appeared about three months ago, along with the disappearance of everyone over the age of twenty-five. I’m nineteen right now, which makes me the oldest remaining person. Everyone really nervous to see what happens to me when I turn twenty-five and this Fog is still around.  I don’t mind it, the Fog. I mean, it finally gave this sleepy town some excitement. The only thing I hate is the fact that it blocks my favorite spot, right here on the riverbank. But I mean, it does provide a great escape plan.”

Dave perked up with the last part, about escaping. “Explain.” Was all he said.

“Well,” I said, “Today wasn’t the first time those kids have chased me. Usually, I just run through the fog, and come out the other side. It seems like no one can follow me through it.”

“Really,” Dave said, “Show me.”

And so I did. Walking through the fog isn’t unpleasant at all, it just gets really cold, and sometimes I emerge with my clothes slightly damp. I came out on the other side of town, on the crest of a giant hill. What I didn’t expect, was that right behind me was Dave, emerging just after I did. I also noticed that he didn’t even have any dew on his outfit, unlike me who was almost covered in it. “Interesting.” Was all he had to say, stroking the patch of fuzz on his chin. “Does this happen wherever you enter? Like, you come out on the other side of town?”

“Yeah.” I said.

“And you’re positive that no one else can follow you through the Fog?”