Chapter 22

Kasai, Cathy, and I sit in my room. Kasai looks around the room with a blank expression.

"So, where's the secret friend?" he asks.

I gesture to Astral, who's been hovering patiently beside me for some time. "Right here. He's been with us for some time."

Astral becomes visible completely, and he begins sizing Kasai up. "Hello," he says at last. "You must be Kasai. I have been watching you for some time, but you may already suspect this. Indeed, I can sense it in your mind."

Kasai eyes Astral in the same manner. "Nice to meet you, Astral. I've always wondered why Yuma seemed to talk to himself like some kind of crazy guy. It's nice to know that I've finally found out that this nagging feeling of someone watching me didn't mean that I was crazy."

After a few more minutes of those two looking at each other as if they're mortal enemies, I snap my fingers, making them jump.

"Um, let's get back to the subject, guys," I suggest, trying to get them to stop.

Astral, who refuses to break contact with Kasai's fiery eyes, nods. "I agree. So, from Yuma has told me before I made myself visible, you have valuable information about the murders. Tell me what you know, and I will see if it is accurate."

Kasai, who doesn't even blink under Astral's icy gaze, responds, "I know a psycho must be on the loose if more than half of Heartland City has been destroyed in a few nights. I also know that you three suspect the same guy as always. You describe him as a 'shadow' to those who don't know him so that you don't have to tell them directly who you're looking for. I don't know the reason, though." He grins at Astral. "It must be a good reason to not tell them directly 'We're searching for a ghost named Number 96 Black Mist. We suspect him as the murderer.' "

Astral blinks in surprise. "You know of Black Mist? Even his Number?"

"I've encountered the guy before, if that's what you're asking," Kasai responds. "Kind of wish I didn't. The guy's crazy as hell."

Astral narrows his eyes. "What do you know of Black Mist?"

Kasai laughs. "Is this some kind of interrogation or what?"

"Answer the question, human boy!" Astral snaps.

Kasai twitches in irritation. "Fine. I know that he's evil, somewhat childish, and he enjoys killing."

"Is that all you know?"

"Pretty much." Kasai shrugs. "It wasn't a long encounter. More like I saw him, he saw me, and he tried to stab me. It's a good thing my reflexes are fast."

"Alright then." Astral breaks eye contact as he turns to me. "Not a word about my Rank or my mission," he hisses.

I roll my eyes. "I know," I hiss back.

For the next hour, we explain to him what we've got so far, what some of Black Mist's capabilities are, and to beware of his little demon spawns. Astral stresses that point himself.

"So, he's more than we know?" Kasai muses. "I never would have thought..."

"Yeah," I agree. "I still don't know how we can't understand, though."

"Yuma," Astral cuts in. "Even I do not completely understand how deep his hatred is. I know more than humans, though, and I can make a more accurate guess."

"Your point is...?"

"My point is that only he truly knows."

"What do you mean?" Kasai asks.

"Only Black Mist knows this because it might be from a personal experience. Since we do not know about his personal experiences, we cannot make a definite guess," Astral explains.

"I see." Kasai stretches. "Well, I have to go now. Bye." He walks out of the room. "See you guys later."

Cat waves to him. One of her cats hisses as he leaves.

Astral turns in the direction of the cat. "I see..." he mumbles.

"What is it, Astral?" I ask, knowing full well that he might not tell me.

"I will tell you when I can, Yuma." Astral disappears inside they Key again.

I sigh. I knew it. He'll probably never tell me. That's just his way. Just like Sherlock Holmes and Doctor Watson. He'll probably only tell me when he knows he's got it all figured out.

"So, what now?" Cat asks. "It's not like he's going to tell us anything until he's got this all sorted out."

So, she's been thinking the same thing that I have. "I don't know," I answer. "Though, now that I think about it, Kasai does seem a bit suspicious, don't you think?"

Cat takes some time to think. "Yeah, I guess, now that you mention it." She remains frozen for a while with her hands behind her back and her green eyes closed. It's a habit we picked up from Astral weeks before. It actually helps us think a lot better. No distractions, and time for your mind to wander.

"He acts really strange around others," I mutter thoughtfully. "Sure, he doesn't like being around people, but is it because he's just a misanthropic, or is it something else. He also has a lot of mood swings. What's up with that?"

"Maybe it's a bad idea to let him join," Cat says softly.

"No," I argue. "We might be ale to watch his behavior this way. See if he does anything suspicious or sneaky."

Cat nods in understanding. "Alright." She scoops up her cat as she walks down to the door. "I have to go now. See you tomorrow!" She waves as she leaves.

"Bye!" I call while smiling. "See you tomorrow!"

When she's gone, my smile drops, and I sigh. I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by letting Kasai join us. This may be too risky, but we have to see if he's Black Mist or not.