s i x

As Maya paced around her living room, feeing the coldness of the hardwood floor while it softly creaked, she debated on whether or not to call him

She had a fractured foot which was causing enough pain, and she couldn't quiet her mind.

The thoughts were coming at her from every possible angle at lightning speed.

It's your fault.

You could have just waited another hour to go to the grocery store and this might not have happened.

You could've driven.

If you were paying more attention to the roads and your mother, you could have prevented this whole situation.

It's all your fault.

"Stop!" she screamed, holding both of her hands at the sides of her head.

She picked up her house phone and grabbed the number out of her jean pocket.

She quickly dialed it and tapped her foot patiently as she waited for a response.

"Hello?" Lucas asked, his voice soft as he just awoke from sleeping.

It was after all, 3 am.

"Lucas? It's me, Maya Hart. I'm not totally sure if you remember me-"

"I know who you are."

Maya's lips curled into a small smile.

He remembered me, she thought.

"I had a medical question," she said, suddenly realizing why she called in the first place.

"Are you okay? Is something wrong with the boot we put on your ankle?"

"My leg's fine. I was just wondering... is it normal for me to feel like I'm lost? It's like, she was there, smiling, asking me about my day, and now there's an emptiness where she used to be. My mind just won't shut off. Is there something wrong with me?"

Maya let out a breath, closing her eyes shut.

"Nothing's wrong with you. I can assure you that grieving can be difficult and the pain can differ for each person. I truly hope things get better for you Maya."

Her eyes opened again, feeling relieved.

"I'm so sorry to bother you, I was just worried. I've never felt like this before," Maya replied truthfully.

"It's okay. Goodnight maya."

"Goodnight Lucas."