Chapter 1- District 2

I could hear my heart beating and my breath coming out rhythmically.  Target after target slid out o the walls in front of me.  I raise my arms and throw a perfect bull's-eye on every one of them.  Typical.  My trainer starts clapping, but I don't really see a need.  I do this every time. 

"Nice work, sweetheart." My trainer Delilah says.

"Thanks.  This is simple work, really." I reply trying to sound modest.

"No matter.  We have more important things to discuss." She sounds all business now.

"Oh?"

"The reaping for the 100th Huger Games is tonight."

"A Quarter Quell."

"Yes, I'm aware.  You said you wanted to volunteer, but I strongly suggest you wait.  This is the first Quarter Quell since the rebellion and The Capitol will make it bad."

"No." I'm getting mad now. "I'm going in this year, that's it." I stormed away.  I'm tired of hearing it.  I'm going into the arena. . . this year.

                                        *******************************************************

The walk back to my house is a nice one.  The breeze flutters my dark hair and it smells like roses outside.  It always calms me down after training ends.  I can hear shouts coming from around the corner and turn around.  A group of older boys is messing around on the road behind me.  I roll my eyes.  They see me looking at them and start yelling at each other.  They try to push the tallest of the group my way, but he's strong enough to resist.  He's extremely strong, I can't help but notice it.  He looks over at me and flushes red.  I wink at him and walk back down my way. 

"Clove!" My little sister, Lily, runs towards me from the front door of my house.  She's 12 so it's her first year in the reaping, and I can tell she's nervous.

"Hey!  How was your time with mother?"

"Fine, but it would have been better with you there."

"I know, but I had training."

"Your always training. . ." I took her hand and walked inside. 

"Oh! Clove, good your home." My mother is making dinner in the kitchen.  I can smell banana bread wafting across the house.

"I'm gonna go get ready for, you know, the reaping." I said quietly.

"Alright, honey." I walk down the hallway into my room.  I pick out a slightly transparent purple dress a little longer than knee length.  I throw it on and put my hair up in a high pony tail.  I'm ready for my trip to the capitol.