Chapter 2- The Reaping

The town square was filled with people.  The Justice Building is looming over all of us.  There is nervous hum going throughout the area.  But I'm not nervous.  The line takes forever to get through, so when I finally get to my age group I'm relieved.  A loud bum bum sounds."

"Welcome!" District 2's escort Kalia has a pippy voice, which is dang annoying. "Happy Hunger Games, and may the odds be ever in your favor." everyone starts clapping. "As I am sure you all know, this year is a Quarter Quell.  Every 25 years of the Hunger Games, a special rule is used to um. . . make things interesting.  Hayley?"  A small girl who must be Hayley walks over to Kalia and hands her a black box. "She takes it from her and pulls out a small sheet of pearly white paper. "To show that even the strength in numbers of the districts cannot overcome the Capitol, each district will have to give 3 female tributes, and 3 male tributes."

Silence.  Nobody is safe. 

"Well! Let's get on with it! As usual, ladies first!" Kalia reaches into a huge glass bowl and selects three slips of paper. I'm starting to freak out.  Maybe Delilah was right.  I can't do this. I can't!

"First, we have Fiona Mckinnly." A short girl with bright red hair walks up to the stage.

"Second, we have Rhena Grande." I know her from training.  She's good with a spear. . . really good.

"And last," I know I'm not going in this year. Volunteering is out of the question now. "Clove Santorio."

I am in shock.  My name. . . was just called. The people around me nudge me and I walk up to the stage.  I look around the audience trying to find Lily.  I scan the area, and find the group of 18 year old boys.  They all look nervous.  Except one. He is the tallest of the group, and I know him from somewhere.  Oh right! He was the one from this morning.  He looked really pissed right now.

"And now for the boys." Kalia walked over to another glass bowl and selects 3 more slips of paper.

"First,  Hadley Nesray." An extremely tall boy walks up to the stage proudly.

"I VOLUNTEER!" Someone yells rom the crowd. I turn around and see the boy.

"Oh! What a pleasant surprise!" Kalia shrieks.  "And what is your name?"

"Cato. Cato Ferector." So that's his name.  I realized I have been wondering it for years now.

"Well Cato!" she goes on to calling the remaining 2 boys, but I'm not really paying attention. 

All that is on my mind, it that I'm going into the arena.

With three times the tributes as usual.