Chapter 3

The weeks melt into months like chalk running off the pavement when it rains. Dan's smile couldn't get any bigger if he tried; he seems to be glowing from the inside out with happiness. Being with Phil has made him happier than he ever thought possible.

Phil, on the other hand, is struggling. Yes, he is over the moon to have Dan in his life and for them to be boyfriends, but things feel off and weird for him. He assumes it's the elephant in the room that they both are ignoring that is causing their problems.

They talk about anything and everything under the sun. They spend hours reminiscing about their childhoods, special memories, and interesting factoids that they want to share with each other. The only thing they don't talk about is Phil's job.

Dan has never indicated one way or another how he feels about Phil's job. Phil's slightly afraid to hear what Dan has to say about it, even though he can guess, so he tries to avoid mentioning it at all cost. He does see the brief flash of jealousy in Dan's eyes whenever he leaves for work.

Dan hasn't returned to the club since Phil and him became official. He knows that he would become overly possessive and try to keep Phil all to himself if he did. If Dan had his way, Phil would no longer be a stripper and the only person who would be able to see his body would be him. That's how it would be if they lived in a perfect world, but they don't. So they just avoid the subject the best that they can and Dan allows himself to believe that everything is fine.

Phil's trudging up the steps to Dan's flat as if his feet have weights attached to them. They spend most of their time at Dan's flat because Phil has roommates that probably don't want to overhear their bedroom activities.

Dan's curled up on the couch and he jumps slightly when the front door slams shut. Phil drags his feet into the lounge and flops down on the couch, partially on top of Dan.

"Long day at work?" Dan asks as he wraps his arms around Phil and pulls him closer to him. Phil hums in acknowledgement into Dan's chest.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Dan offers.

"Not really." Phil answers half heartedly. Dan brushes Phil's hair away from his face.

"Are you sure? It might make you feel better." Dan offers again. He hates to see Phil as tired and worn down as he does right now. Phil pushes himself into an upright position and out of Dan's arms. He knows that Dan's just trying to help, but his words are grating on his nerves in a way he can't explain.