Chapter 1-Problems

"So, what are you guys doing this summer?" Nasirah asked excitedly, and I was excited too. Everyone was! We were all sitting on a bench in the summer breeze, the sunlight falling on us as we ate and chattered excitedly. It was finally the summer, and my friends were always talking about my wedding and the guy I was marrying, so I was glad for a change someone was talking about something else this lunch.

"I'm going camping with my brothers and sisters" said Beth said between mouthfuls of crisps.

"Cool, I'm gonna spend a night in a villa and relax..." Rubina almost screamed from excitement.

"I'm going to go to Canada and go skiing" Aliza smiled happily.

"I'm gonna go surfing!", Katrina 'Kat' screamed, "Yay, I can't wait to catch a big wave on the beach". God, these people get to do so many exciting things, while I'm going to be stressed out getting ready for a wedding. Relax and stop thinking about the wedding for once!

"We're going California on holiday! Nasirah and me!". Aisha looked so happy, but I was annoyed. I'm sure they're gonna be here for the wedding...

"When are you going?" I asked curiously.

"27th August to be exact. Why?" she questioned. I felt heat rise up my body and my ears turn red under my hijab.

"That's the night before the wedding! You were meant to be my bridesmaid!" I screeched angrily. This could not be happening! Ugh! My wedding day is ruined now!

"God damn it!", Aisha screamed, looking like she was about to have a panic attack in any second, "I completely forgot, I'm so sorry!". She looked sincerely sorry. I could tell by the look on her face that she forgot and she had that look of sorrow in her warm hazel eyes.

"It's okay. I'm sure you can change the day you're going a few days forward right?" I hoped, crossing my fingers in my lap, for good luck, even though I knew there was no such thing.

"No. I'm sorry, but we can't cancel. It's too late!". I felt like shouting, because it was probably the only time I was going to get married, and now my best friends couldn't be my bridesmaids. Not only that, but they weren't even going to be there! Ugh, I hate my life!

"C'mon relax". Rubina tried to calm us all down, and even though I looked less tense, my fist were still clenched so tight, I thought they might crumble at any second. "I'm sure someone here can be your bridesmaid Jameela. It's not like they'll say no!" she forced a laugh, trying to reassure everyone.

All I heard were a few muffled sorry's  or "I can't" as my heart sank further and further deep into my chest. I couldn't believe my wedding was ruined! None of my friends could be bridesmaid. Who could now? Everyone was sitting on the edge of their seats as we all ate our lunch in awkward silence.

....................................................................................................................................

 I sat in my room alone for hours staring at the walls. I didn't feel like talking to anyone, especially not my mum, in case I blurted it to her due to my anxiousness. This was dreadful! I couldn't tell Nassir because it would ruin the whole thing and not to mention he would probably hate Nasirah and Aisha for making our big day a complete and utter disaster! I decided to go down to the kitchen and drown my sorrow in some Ben and Jerry's ice cream- chocolate fudge brownie to be precise. No matter how sad I felt, ice cream could always cheer me up!

So I walked down the wooden staircase and ran into the kitchen. I almost slipped over, but I collided into something...soft. Then I got up to see my mum lying on the ground. I gasped and immediately picked her up. "Jameela, Jameela, what are you doing in such a hurry?" my mum laughed on the kitchen floor and didn't even bother to get up.

"Can't speak mum. Got to have Ben and Jerry's" I drooled in hunger, but then managed to control myself before it fell to the floor with a 'DRIP!'.

"No you don't", she laughed at the spit dribbling from the corners of my mouth all the way to my chin as I quickly wiped it off, "I've made spaghetti bolognaise, your favourite". I smiled.

"Great, can't wait!" and I quickly snatched the tub of ice cream from the freezer before running upstairs as quick as my legs would carry me. I jumped on my bed and started eating the ice cream straight from the tub in greedy lumps. It was out of this world! Suddenly, I saw my mum leaning against the doorframe of my bedroom door. She came and sat down on the bed gently.

"What's up?" she asked, hearing the concern in her voice. Oh how I loved mothers! So caring and loving. I smiled.

"Nothing". I didn't want her to start stressing about it all.

"Is it the wedding?" and before I could reply, "Don't worry, it's all sorted!".

"No, it's not that" I tried to fight, not giving in yet. I didn't like to talk about problems to my mum. She would try and interfere too much...

"You and I both know that that's not true" she said, while laughing.

"How can you read my mind so well?" I replied, while laughing back at her attempt at a 'joke'.

"Because I'm your mum, silly!" and she picked up the spoon and plopped a little bit of ice-cream into her mouth.

"It's really nothing", I said quickly and walked off to pray asr. What am I going to do? This is terrible! Maybe everything is ruined now that Aisha and Nasirah won't be there...