Chapter 1: Leaving the Village

Ever since I can remember there has always been a point in time where the same routine starts to play out. If anyone was to peak through the cracked windows, the precise movements of all of us packing up the boxes would look like a well-rehearsed stage production. However, I could also tell you that it probably is. Everything we do is acted out to the best quality performance possible, that a simple slip up would not go unnoticed. A mistake in this world is just as much of a disastrous storm in the old world. We should focus and copy them like predators, to learn the exact representation of what they are and what we should be. Anything as simple as touching and feeling the petals of a rose, in the garden could be seen in the wrong light, and land us straight back with the rest of human kind. We may be a dying race but we can stop this. We continue to grow, but every step we take, they take ten times more. One thing that helps us to survive is the way our flesh matches theirs; our appearances do not differ too far, that the first step needed to survive is completed without complications. That first step is to blend in without being recognised for who we are. Step two is to know who we are up against and the way they themselves act on a day to day basis, which is vital to our living. Many of our people have already failed, letting them capture, torture and beat us till we are nearly no more. It is not clear now how many of us are still free and have kept our freedom whilst still being trapped in their idea of reality.

The amount of times that my fingertips have caressed the harshness of the beaten cardboard, before ripping a piece of tape, ready to secure the few items I own, feels me with the doubt. All I can think about is where we are going to end up next, and who is going to stray towards the enemy this time. Each time we seem to slip away from the mess one of us managed to create in the current city; someone thinks they will live if they surrender to the darkness of the unforgiving territory. I understand that sometimes all of this playing along, messes with our minds, making us believe we will be better off staying put. Although I have already learnt that to stay can end in your death as well. Not always are they kind enough to just throw you back in the prison cells. I guess when you have seen it all it is hard to get stuck, where you don't belong.

"Chelsea, how many god damn time do I have to call you before you decide look at me, I swear to god you do know how to piss me of with all your fucking dreaming," The last couple of words caught my attention, making me twist my head to the voice of the leader of our small group. His appearance remains well polished and put together, whilst only owning a single t-shirt, slightly tucked into the side of his black jeans. His back is arched as he continues to lean against the wall, where the edges of the wallpaper are starting to curl; a cigarette lit in his right hand. However, the first thing you would notice when seeing him for the first time is his short dirty blonde hair, that slightly covers his dark green eyes. They always seem to pierce right through your sole. Ever since he found me, no emotion seems to be able to find its way on to his face, unless it is just an act for them.

Noticing that my attention is now on him, he takes a step closer to my legs stretched out in front of me; almost clinging to the hardwood floor, not wanting to ever take another step away from this place. When he comes to a halt, but just continues to stare right through me, I tuck my legs in to my body and wrap my arms around, keeping any skin hidden.

Even when it has been so long since the first day we met, every action he takes, makes me shiver, as the goose bumps begin to dance around any skin left on show. I never have could understand why he acts the way he does. Although there is that saying about if you spend too much time with the monster, you will become one. Almost like a curse which is impossible to find a cure for. The only good thing right now though, is that I know he may act like one of them, but he does not follow them on the inside. If he did then I would not even be sat here right now with a chance to run away. I would just be a mere ghost of the very last essence of my creation.