Chapter 4: Who are we Hiding From

I can feel the smooth ground beneath the wheels, alerting me to the fact that we are no longer in the woods but now on city roads. It won't be long before we encounter the simulant population, so the sooner I get my act together and start acting, the better. Although I do need to somehow disguise the wounds and swollen cheeks that cover my entire body. No one is talking in the front anymore; being too focused on their mission ahead. Something I wish they could just talk to me about.

It is going to be a weak attempt trying to hide behind a blanket or a scarf and the only other option is to lay beneath the suitcases that litter the back of the land rover, which is what Blue eventually comes up with. All I can do is nod my head in an agreement as Charlie helps me beneath the jumble of cases, causing me more pain as one of the handles digs into my ribs and a case rests upon my puffy cheek. Tears are running down my face but I know this is the only option if I want to get through the cities borders without being recognised.

As we near the gates to the first city, I can feel how everyone has become tense; no longer is anyone asking me if I am good, or if they need to turn back and let me rest, even though I know if we stopped we wouldn't just have the simulants on our backs but Alex as well. We are slowing down and all I can do is grip the case to my side in fear of being found. If they decide to do a search they will rip apart everything until they deem the vehicle safe to enter their city; but that would not be the situation as they will find me and know there and then that we are humans.

Coming to a halt I can hear the faint whisper of voices as Charlie is explaining how we only seek to get across the city to be on our ways to another, as we have been asked to for research purposes. This usually works as, simulants are not good at keeping in contact with other cities, and there are always research projects going on. Although I can still feel my heart beat speeding up and my palms becoming clammy. If only I was not a mess right now I could help to read their minds and know if we need to adjust what we are saying slightly or not be scared that a bashed-up human is hiding in the boot.

The more I fear the slower the time is passing, not helping me to calm down. We could have gone around the city but then it would have taken us double the time to get to wherever our destination is and knowing Alex he would go through in order to save time. The back doors of the land rover are flung open, making my heart leap out of my chest, just hoping they don't decide to move anything. I can overhear whoever it is looking in the back as they now stand near enough for their mind to open to me; debating whether to search. Please just leave, I can't take the pressure of wondering what will happen to me and the others. Although for once luck is on our side.

Distracted by another vehicle approaching, the simulant decides against a search and slams the door back shut. Instantly I am full of relief, allowing myself to cool down. It should take roughly forty minutes to reach the other side, as Kyle explained earlier on. This means another forty minutes of being crushed in an uncomfortable but not fatal position.

Being squashed means it is impossible to gain any sleep. I feel so weak and drowsy but there is nothing I can do about it until we are passed the exit gate and it is safe for me to be placed back on the back seat. All I want is to be able to help but I know until I am strong and healthy again they are not going to let me in on anything in case I freak out and cause myself more injuries. This just makes me wonder what it is they are hiding from me as it cannot be anything good.

Blue shouts over the head rest after what must have been an hour, bringing me out of a daze, "We are nearing the gates, only another ten minutes petal, sorry for the wait". I want to at least mutter back that's its ok and I am not having any problems back here but I cannot bring my voice to work. I need sleep and water, maybe a little bite to eat if I can stomach it. Anything I have tried to eat recently has made me want to retch.

I think ten minutes has passed, maybe even more, I'm in such a daze that I cannot distinguish whether we have stopped at the exit. We must of as they are back to having a hushed conversation in the front, no longer in simulant territory I guess. Why haven't they helped me out of this mess yet? Are we being followed? Are we not far enough away yet? Why can the time not hurry up. I am getting distressed now, causing my headache to grow tenfold what it was. If I am not able to get to sleep I soon will from blacking out. I can see the dark spots in the corner of my vision. My hands are becoming numb and my breathing is decreasing to a slower more peaceful pace.

I must have blacked out as I am now back on the backseat my head resting in Blues lap as she strokes my hair, soothing my mind. I can hear her soft voice singing a lullaby, like she always used to do with her son Jason. He passed away five years ago in his sleep- only four years old, we believe he must have had something medically wrong with him that no one could have known. It is hard not having the medical care the world used to have, not being able to cure or treat an illness. Mortality rates have risen so much, especially in babies and young children. I don't think blue has fully recovered from the death, as moments like this you can see the sadness and guilt in her eyes.

She could not have known he was ill, none of us could, but she still blames herself. He was such a bright little boy, I can see it now as blue runs after him in the garden as he is trying to catch a butterfly, both falling over in a fit of giggles, covered in mud. He was an exact image of her, blonde hair, blue eyes and a cheeky smile. Blues nickname came from Jason, he used to stare his mum's eyes and all he could mutter was the colour amazed at how bright they were when they sparkled at him. We all miss him, but Blue is still grieving. I guess no matter how long it's been the loss of a child is always the hardest to deal with.

If Kyles navigation skills are correct we are heading towards a camp that was set up near the border of the city Viper, it is believed to be a human settlement. They own no weapons and get on day by day, by growing their own food and teaching the children how to disguise themselves. It is possible they could have some information on whereabouts of someone; someone I still do not know of.

It's getting dark outside and if we cannot make it to the camp before the sun has completely gone, then we will have to lose more time and set up our own camp for the night. Not knowing the exact coordinates of the settlement is making it hard to track, which is good if we can find it as it will be just as hard for anyone to find us.

There is one question on my lips however; who are we hiding from?