2

My body jumps into reality, leaving me breathless and drenched in sweat.
it was just a dream.
just a dream.
I roll over in my covers, kicking them off to expose my warm body to the open air of my bedroom. I swing my left arm over my tired eyes.

just a dream.

After my heart calms down, I reach my hand towards my bedside table and click the home button on my phone, practically blinding myself when the screen comes to life. I open my messages. knowing I won't be able to fall back asleep, I begin to tap away.
Hey bud, you awake?
I glance at the time: 3:26 Am
yikes.
Surprisingly, the grey bubble appears:

Ky: why hello my dude

Me: why are you up bitch tit

ky: skyping Sarah. You?

I roll my eyes. He's always skyping Sarah.

me: nightmare. again. lol

ky: that sux dude, what was it about?

I proceed to tell him in detail about the atrocities of my latest night terror, as I have most nights for the past few weeks now. He then proceeds to try and analyze it, even though we both don't know what we're talking about. In all honesty, talking to him always seems to me down, and I feel my eyelids getting heavy.

me: goodnight buddy

ky: goodnight my dude

I place my phone back on the table and reach for my covers. pulling them up to my ears I curl up, drifting into the soft emptiness that is sleep.

Suddenly, I feel a sturdy set of arms lift me off the floor, and a soft finger delicately grazes against my wound. "I'm here," a musky voice whispers, "and I will protect you."