Teen Years

Jim took a really long time trying to talk to you. What could he say? When there's a pretty girl and you're both shy and insane, people get cold feet pretty fast. It was that awkward year 11, and for two and a half years, he'd been biding for your attention. Finally, he managed to capture it. That fateful day when you came up and talked to him about math team. Naturally, Jim had been the captain, all three years he'd been on, and you needed the credits, so it was an obvious decision to see if they had an opening.
"Hey, Jim!" You ran to catch up to the black haired Irishman, who instantly turned around, recognizing your voice. He knew his eyes must've looked like saucers. What were you, popular Y/n l/n, girl of his dreams, doing talking to a nobody like him?
"Can I talk to you for a second?" You shyly asked, realizing he must get this sort of thing from a lot of students. He couldn't quite use words, but he managed to nod. You smiled gratefully, joining his little walk around the school during break period.
"So, I was wondering if you needed any extra people for the Math Team? I'm hoping to be able to graduate after this semester, but I still need five more credits, and the only way to get them is through a club. Obviously, Math Team is the obvious choice, I mean, math plays a major role in computer linguistics, so I figured why not kill two birds with one stone, right? Oh! Sorry, I'm rambling aren't I?" He didn't mind that you were rambling. He could listen to you talk forever, honestly. As you turned to him for any sort of response, he just kind of stood there. Eventually your growing anxiety was what pulled him from his trance, as he notice how much more often you were fidgeting.
"Y-Yeah, there's always openings in Math Team! We'd be glad to have you!" He said, keeping a brisk, light tone as he spoke. Your appreciative smile was something he could've stared at for days. Mostly though, he was excited to be seeing you twice a week.

Things had been going great! Jim had been following his 218-step plan to getting you to fall in love with him to the letter, and so far, it'd been paying off. Unexpectedly, he heard an almost growl come from you, your annoyance spurting from your every pore.
"What's up?" He slid into the seat next to you, secretly admiring the determination set into your e/c eyes, and the way your hair was slipped softly over the shoulder furthest from him.
"Penrose Triangle equation. I feel like I want to tear my eyes out!" You buried your face in your hands, letting your head fall to the paper. He bit back the urge to laugh.
"Well, every Penrose Triangle has its thorns!" He joked, and he knew it was a god awful pun, and he sure as hell didn't expect your suddenly bubbly laughter that sprouted from it. He was very pleased with himself, if he continued on like this, he could likely be at stage 96 (close friends) before he knew it! He almost fainted at the beautiful glow of joy radiating off your features. He did his best to contain his head-over-heals-in-love sigh, but failed as his cheek rested on his open palm.
"Very true, Jim! Very true, indeed!" He almost wanted to say screw his plan and ask you out right there, but he knew you'd reject him. Obviously you would! You were WAY out of his league... Right? His moment was cut short by his jock friend coming in for the first time in a few months, girls immediately lining up to swoon over him. Sebastian Moran was easily the most charming kid in school. His wispy blonde hair could make any girl fall, but when he looked at them with his glistening ocean eyes, the butterflies in their stomachs kept them up right. He didn't even need to try, and quite honestly, it sometimes annoyed Jim. Sebastian used girls, mainly to get off on, but they lined up to be used. All while Jim sat there, only wanting for this one girl, this beacon of everything he could ever hope or dream for, to even look his way.
"Heya, Jimmy!" Sebastian ruffled Jim's hair, getting an annoyed grunt from the owner of the (now tangled) black locks.
"Sebastian. You're late... And have missed a total of 37 practices!" He scolded his teammate. Jim had always been like Sebastian's boss, and despite his protests, Sebastian addressed him as such.
"Sorry, Boss. Was a little caught up with some things." He sent a wink to the hoards of girls that mainly only attended the practices to get a glimpse of the school's super-star. Jim huffed in annoyance, but shrugged it off, ready to help you with your problem.
"And who's this pretty little thing?" He turned his attention to you, who had been retrying to figure out the formula on your own, but was immediately caught off guard, a small blush setting into your cheeks. Jim was internally screaming at his best friend. Was it so much to ask for him not to ruin this?
"This is y/n l/n, if you'd shown up to even a single practice, you would've been here when I introduced her." Jim continued to glare at Sebastian, hoping he'd back off once he heard your name. No such luck ever happened when it came to Sebastian Moran.
"Y/n, huh? I've heard all about you, actually!" You were confused for a moment, but he quickly continued, "Yeah! Friend of mine can't shut up about you!" A deep blush had set itself into Jim's cheeks, as he snuck a glance to make sure you hadn't noticed.
"From what I've heard, you're pretty amazing! Say, you know that film that's coming out on Saturday?" Everyone knew what film was coming out on Saturday. It was going to be the biggest event since the school's masquerade last year, and everyone's goal was to have a date to its premier, but no matter what, everyone was going. You actually had hoped Jim might ask you to accompany him, but that wasn't exactly going anywhere...
"Yeah! I've been totally psyched about it for weeks now!" Jim knew what Sebastian was planning. He looked at Sebastian, hoping the blonde would turn his head, and realize that he was planning on asking you, soon enough to back off!
"Well, I'm kind of in need of a date, if you wouldn't mind too terribly, I'd like to go with you." Honestly, you wanted to hold out in hopes that Jim would ask you. On the same hand, however, time was dwindling, and if Jim didn't ask you, Sebastian would probably have another date lined up by then. You took the only rational approach.
"Sure! Sounds fun!" Jim looked to you as you continued to stare up to the tall blonde, his heart in total shambles, and head repeating over and over that he should've asked you while he had the chance. Now he'd never know what you would have said.