Part 5

Dean lay in bed, fantasizing a world in which he was just a normal teenager with too much homework and girl troubles, and those were the causes of his anxiety. Not the monsters, or a little brother to take care of, or minor issues like saving the world, not to mention the goddamned angel that followed him around. He loved Cas to death, he really did, but the angel didn't understand humans at all sometimes. There was no way he would have been able to understand the scars up and down teenage Dean's arms, or the bruises from his father that had mysteriously reappeared with his bad taste in hair and music. He remembered the scars and the late nights and the lighters and knives, and he remembered why he had each one of then, and those were the thoughts that rocked him off to sleep.

When Sam woke up, he stuck to his schedule as best as he could: get up, go for a run, take a shower, put on coffee, read news, wake Dean up. But even just the run alone was a struggle. His mind was far from the city streets he was running along. Instead they were 1500 miles away, remembering the struggles that he found out that Dean dealt with on a daily basis. When he returned to the hotel room, having narrowly avoided being hit by multiple cars and deciding that perhaps it was a better idea to take a break, Dean had a cup of coffee and a restaurant breakfast waiting on the table for him with a note that said: "Went in early yo talk to more people. Maybe get more answers. Phone me at 12.15 to compare.

Sam sighed. Dean probably hadn't gotten much sleep last night, if any. He was rarely up this early. But Sam didn't want to be overbearing. After all, he was only his brother and not actually his father, much as he felt like it sometimes. So he threw on a suit, hopped in the Impala (had Dean walked to school?) and drove to the mortuary.

"Morning," he said to the receptionist before pulling out his ID. It felt empty in the room without Dean beside hkm. "I'm here to see the body of Lea Tveit."

The receptionist gave him a calculating look. "The police only found her body last night. They haven't performed the postmortem yet. If you are so impatient, you could always you an join Dr. Reynolds in her examination."

Sam smiled politely. "Thanks for the offer, but if you could give me a call when the examination is done, that would be great." He pulled a card out of his pocket and handed it to her.

She examined it. "This says agents Duke and MacNamara. Where's your partner?"

Internally, Sam swore. He had forgotten to change the cards. "He's indisposed at the time being," he told her. "Nasty flu, isn't it?"

She looked at him again. "That it is, Agent Duke that it is."

At 12.16 exactly, Sam's phone rang. "Hello," he said into it, swallowing a mouthful of salad.

"Sammy," Dean's voice echoed through the speaker. "You didn't call."

"I was a minute behind!"

"Whatever," Dean said, not paying attention. "Look, I talked to people again. It turns out that all the vics were seen with guys their age last they wree seen by their friends. Lea Tveit didn't drink. This was her first party, and her friends swear that she didnt touch any of the food of drink there. So if the same thing's happening to all thd vics, then poison is out."

Sam nodded. "They found Lea's body last night, Dean. Doc finished postmortem an hour ago."

"And?" Dean asked.

"And she was pregnant."

There was a pause, and then dean said, "Huh. Not a big deal, don't you think, Sammy? It was a party, she was a teenager, she was seen with a cute guy."

Sam pinched his lips together. "It was part dolphin, Dean," he said thinly. "The embryo was part dolphin. And Lea's cause of death was drowning."

Sam could practically see the frown spreading across his brother's face. "OK, now thats...disturbing."

"No kidding," Sam said.

"Anything on the others?" Dean asked.

Sam shook his head. "Nothing. All that I can get is that they were all sweet kids, choir girls and alter boys. Nothing out of the ordinary with any of them."

"Great," Dean muttered. "So we're trying to find a stain in Mother Theresa's record. Great."

Sam sighed. "Yeah. Look, I've gotta go. I'm expecting a call from the local police department, seeing if they can draw ip familt records. Ill talk soon, OK?"

"Sounds like a plan," Dean said.

It wasn't a plan, not really. Dean had spent much of the day getting snubbed by a lot of kids, for being new and being too nosy. He wasn't used to getting the cold shoulder when he asked for information, but now he was a kid again, and that meant that he had very little standing among the other kids. Not to mention that he was new. At lunch hour, he sat outside and wathed a group of kids play scoccer. Twenty hears ago that might have been him.

Somebody sat down beside him, and he turned. It was the goth chick. "Youre looking for connections, aren't you," she said with a soft voice.

Dean pulled a confused face. "What?"

"Between the ones who went missing. You're looking for the missing link. Well, I'll tell you what it is: Glass Thrones."

Now Dean was actually confused. "What?"

"There's a band called Glass Thrones. A local group. And they were playing at each event. That is what yours looking for, isn't it? That's why you've been asking everybody all those questions."

"Yeah," Dean said warily, "thanks."

At that precise moment, a guy walked up to Dean. He looked like his IQ matched the width of hus biceps. Not exactly the brains of the class.

"You the guy that's been nosing around about my Melody?" he growled.

Dean stood up. "As a matter of fact, I am," he said. "You her boyfriend?"

"What's it to you?" the guy asked.

"I'm just wondering why she decided to settle for someone whose hair is held in place with so much gel it probably weighs more than their brain."

Oh, Sam would be so mad at him.