Risking Amor: Chapter 3

The bell rang, signaling a short break in the cafeteria for food, refreshments, and a few minutes to chat with friends. Grace and I walked out of the classroom with Connor trailing not so far behind, "Hey guys, wait up!"

     We both stopped and looked back. "Come on, Connor, we dont have all day," Grace giggled. She took out her iphone and started tapping on the screen, probably sending a text message. "Hey, check this out, Morgan and Damian got to know each other first period, and they're hitting it off!" 

     Connor ran up behind us and put his arms around the two of us. "Morgan and Damian? Thank god, if Damian tried going for my Stella, I would be so pissed." 

     I looked back at him and raised an eyebrow, "Your Stella? I could have sworn that slavery was abolished a long time ago, Connor." I was surprised that he didn't have some witty comeback. "So, anyways, Damian and my roommate, huh?"

     "I know, right?" Grace beamed as her thumbs repeatedly tapped her touchscreen. "Looks like the whole stalker situation isn't much of a problem anymore."

     I shrugged, "Fine by me. That was fast." The whole concept of a boy crush was rather intriguing. He developed a crush on some random girl, woo her with compliments, gifts, maybe even getting a little physical, then by the next day, it was if he never liked her. I guess I was just another victim of a "boy crush", not that I minded though. It was quite flattering.

     "I'm not suprised, though, Morgan is probably one of the prettiest girls in school, she gets all the guys," Grace said with a hint of jealousy in her voice. Her smile faded slightly, but when she saw me curiously looking at her, it formed back into her usual full, toothy smile, "She's so lucky."

     Connor gave a tiny eye roll and muttered under his breath, "she's also a bitch..." It was loud enough for Grace and I to hear, but instead of protesting, she just looked forward as if she didn't hear. I could tell she did though, because she smiled slightly.

     Then came the awkward silence. The silence I hated the most about conversations, especially around new people. And what's even worse is that they're already friends, so they have a bunch of different inside jokes and memories that don't include me. Ones that would only bring more awkwardness if I tried laughing along.

     Connor finally broke the silence by letting out a small chuckle. "So, anyway, this is the cafeteria," he said while opening a large glass door. When I was told Burchell was an excellent school, they weren't kidding. The cafeteria was huge; enough to fit hundreds, maybe thousands of people. To the left was a salad bar, sandwhich bar, an array of soup selections, and two baskets; one full of fruit, and one full of vegetables. To the right was a frozen yogurt bar, juice bar, desert platters, granola bars, and a bowl of chips. In the middle of the cafeteria was the room where the main course was given to you.

     I stood there like an idiot, gaping at my surroundings. "This is the cafeteria?" I managed to spit out after a few minutes. Grace and Connor laughed at me and nodded. "Are you kidding? How many times did the principal strike gold?"

     Grace shrugged, "Only a couple."

     Damian was pulled over to us by a tall, skinny girl with dark brown curly hair and blue eyes. She was gorgeous. "Grace, I told you to meet me in the library before school. Where were you?"

    "Sorry Morgan, I had to meet with Mr. Kelley about my D in bio. You know that." Grace smiled tightly, her eyes blinking fast. 

     Ah, so this was Morgan Sanders. My roommate, Grace's best friend, and apparently a bitch. "Hi, your Morgan, right? I'm Stella, your new roommate."