Gene and Dexter meet I guess?

Gene threw open his medical cabinet, threw in a hand, and grabbed some basic medical supplies. He checked a second time to be sure he had a scalpel, needle, thread, and some cleaning alcohol.

Out his front door, flying down his front steps...

And he forgot to check his Town List for the injured man's name.

He dropped his medical bag on his bottom step to go rush to his desk and scanned his List for the name of the man living at house 4.

"Dexter," he whispered, hoping he remembered it for when Dexter woke up.

Out again, this time for sure, with all supplies and information required equipped, he swiftly ran across the town to Dexter's home. Like a majestic deer protecting his home, he almost left over the four steps leading up the lynching stage (for a shortcut)-and fell face-first on the decaying wood with a thud and a faint clanking from his bag.

He mumbled a swear and pushed himself up. He had an important job, possibly the most important of the entire town. He didn't allow himself to stop for something like tripping or getting a splinter.

Running, again, this time not aiming for a full bound down the stairs. he stomped each step and finished his run to Dexter's house.

He stood a few feet away from house 4's front steps for a moment to take a deep breath, and finally, he went up to the front steps.

The smell of blood was the first thing that he noticed, just like he usually did if there was anything worth healing. Even after so long of dealing with blood in so many ways, he was slightly shocked. It had been a long time since he had sensed this much.

Dexter looked surprisingly small, crumpled on the steps. Gene would've asked him what was wrong even if there wasn't blood everywhere.

Literally everywhere. All over Dexter's front, and especially dark on a line where gene presumed the injury was. Then, there was a clear, red line where his attacker had dragged him from one of the other houses. Gene figured sometimes after a particularly difficult night of healing that at least the town's killers had the decency to bring the bodies to their houses and giving Gene a chance to do something about it.

Gene stumbled up. Time to get to work.