Chapter Twenty: Promises (The Birth Of A Melody: Part 2)

The Birth of a Melody: Part Two

Chapter Twenty: Promises

You're all gonna hate me at the end of this chapter.

_________________________________________________________________________________

The funeral was held at City Hall.

Other than her father being the former mayor of Paris, Miss Bourgeois was a popular model, designer, and activist for world peace, representing France in the UN many times. She spoke up about the akuma attacks, asking for assistance for helping Parisian victims and stopping the attacks before the threat of Hawk Moth went national.

Paris had lost a wonderful woman.

Baby Antony wailed in the arms of his father. Uncle Kim held an umbrella over their heads.

Stephanie wept as the three of us, Hugo and Louis and I, comforted her.

I noticed the golden heart locket that Miss Bourgeois had given to the new Ladybug.

"Ladybug gave it to me," she had told me. "You know my mom...she always wore it..."

She was struggling to talk about her mother in the past tense.

Inside the locket was her parents' wedding photo, and the other a picture of a three-year-old Stephanie giggling as she played with her mom's makeup and jewellery.

Right now, it was open, and she stared at it silently. "Mom was going to update it next week, with Antony and I together," Stephanie murmured. She closed it gently, then held it tightly in her palm.

Louis clasped it back around her neck, and Hugo and I held her hands while they lowered the coffin.

Stephanie let go.

Looking down, she spoke. "Guys, I need some time alone, to think. I'll be back."

Before someone could stop her, she dashed off into the building.

"Will she be okay?" I asked.

"She's as fine as she can be right now," Louis replied. "If she needs anything we got her back."

Hugo looked at the pouring clouds, not saying a word.

Then his eyes widened.

"Ladybug?"

Paris' new heroine stood, with a bouquet of yellow roses.

She quietly walked to the freshly dug grave. No one protested. She knelt, and placed them on the soil, paying her respects.

She stayed there, murmuring a silent prayer.

After, she got up, swung to the top of City Hall, and faced the grieving crowd.

"Fellow Parisians, I am the new chosen Ladybug," she spoke.

"Yesterday, a great woman had passed on to the next world. I hope where ever she is...that it's a place of serenity and peace, just as she wished for Paris."

"Starting now, I want to honour that wish."

Her voice was raw, from struggling not to cry. She breathed in deeply, and shouted.

"I swear, as Ladybug, to protect you all. I vow to end for once and for all the attacks that have ravaged our city. I vow to make Paris the beautiful city it once was. I promise... not to let anyone else die!"

"All of you, please bear witness to my promises, and I will do my best in my being to honour them."

The rain continued to pour, but a small ray of light beamed from the clouds, resting upon Miss Bourgeois' grave.