Part 1

"Oh, come on. Its gonna be fun, you don't want to miss out again." Ruby scolded me during 4th period. She wanted me to go to one of her boating parties. Her mom is incredibly rich and buys her pretty much whatever she wants, but that's not the reason we're best friends.

The first day of kindergarten, before her mom got the job, she was sitting on top of the monkey bars, alone. I, at the time, was playing four square when I looked up and saw her. Feeling sad, I attempted to climb up and join her, but fell and broke my nose instead. At the hospital she came to visit to say sorry. We started talking, and as it turns out, she was sitting there because she was sad she didn't have any friends. We've been best friends ever since.

Ruby sports light brown hair, flawless eyebrows, green eyes, and she's the most sweet and caring person you will ever meet. She does love to party, however, and the phrase "Dance like nobody is watching" Doesn't apply to her. She dances all the time. Horribly, I may add, but its great because she doesn't give a shit.

Now she's the super outgoing and popular girl of Middle West High, and I'm her sidekick/wingwoman flicking away guys who don't deserve her. It sounds awful, but I like it. I hated being in the spotlight, and I didn't want to be known as a loser, so I consider it perfect.

"Come on, you know the ocean freaks me out. What if the boat sinks? And you don't know what could be in that water..." I answered, scribbling down some notes while our French teacher jabbered away.

"I know you like sitting at home surrounded by books, and I like doing that too sometimes, but you need to step out of your comfort zone! Please? Just this once? You're by best frienddddd." She pleaded, drawing out the "d". "I'll... Think about it." I answered, making Ruby's face light up.

"I'll be handing out your tests, start packing up your things. The bell will ring in 5 minutes." Mr. Petrig announces. I stack my notebooks and folders and shove them into my bag before looking up and seeing the grade I got. 92 isn't that bad, I thought I'd do worse.

"Hey, what did you get?" I hear Ruby ask in a whisper. "92, you?" "97. I got a point taken off because I accidentally called a chair feminine. Its a chair, what the hell? Le, La, who cares?" I forrrced out a chuckle, our teacher was so strict.

A few seconds later and the bell rung throughout the classroom. Jumping up, Ruby and I started down the hallway. Unfortunately, she had Biology and I had Algebra. "Bye, Quinn" She waved before turning the corner.

I walked down the hall to Algebra and sat in my usual seat, turning over the party in my head. I really would have rather just stayed home and watched Netflix, but whenever I see pictures of a party I didn't go to, it made me feel left out. And then there was the idea of the ocean. Ever since I was little. I was terrified of it, and it doesn't help that we live Haleiwa, Hawaii. It may have started after I watched "Finding Nemo" and the Anglerfish gave me nightmares, but it also could just be the mystery that its larger than the land mass and most of it's undiscovered...

"Quinn Lendson?" My head perked up at the sound of my name. "Present." I announced. "Take out last night's homework and place it on your desk. Begin the warmup, I will be around to check it." Ms. Bengy told the class. I took out my half-finished sheet of homework and a crumpled notebook paper, then began the assignment. Algebra was the worst, but I managed to get through it. An hour later, the bell rang and we got up. Ruby and I had lunch together, so we met at the corner and began our way there.

"Have you thought about the party? I still want you there." Again, with the party. Isn't there anything else to talk about today? "Sort of, I think I'll go. But just for a bit." I answered, finally. "That's great! I promise it won't be too bad. You're gonna have fun!" Just then, we heard a wolf-whistle and looked over to see Gordon giving Ruby the smolder.